Prologue: Ana's first flight

~Ana’s P.O.V~

As the blizzard got worse I ran as fast as I could through the snow. The blizzard made it harder and harder to see where I was going. I could hear his footsteps behind me. He was fast, but I was fast enough to keep ahead of him. We went back and forth fighting until he outsmarted me and there was a gunshot. Within seconds, I fell to the ground grabbing my side as I yelped in pain. Not caring about my wound I used my free hand to slug myself through the snow, but it didn’t matter anymore.

A shot broke through the silence of the night and I felt the cold ice touching my back: the lake was frozen. He bent down to face me I saw those cold eyes, cold as the harsh winter weather. The ice began to crack under my body and I fell into the cold water. Then something sudden happened, I felt a hand pull me up from the murky depths and pull me out of the frozen lake barely alive.

My life comes in dark flashes...

He drops me on to the stable ice and I look up to him only to have a butt of a gun collide with my cheek which knocked me out cold.

I awoke a little while later and I felt blood trickle down my face and I winced slightly, with my other hand I rubbed my eyes and looked around. The room was tiny and I could feel the fear bubbling under my skin. I heard footsteps approaching the room; I had nothing to defend myself with.

The door flew open exposing him and some unfamiliar scientists...

My heart starts pounding furiously against my chest as they closed the door, one of them carried a hypodermic needle and the other man grabbed my hair. The soldiers stood in the shadows in case I decided to make a run for it which, if i was honest enough, was going to be impossible.

"It seems we have been taking the wrong approach with you, Ana. We may have been a bit too soft on you and in our efforts were not entirely fruitful. This will no longer be the case."  His tone of voice was deadly serious and his expression was as hard as stone.

The Lab coat Scientist moved to take his place at my side; The Man forcefully pulled my hair up so it exposed my neck and I wanted to scream in agony. He removes the cap from the needle, Locates an appropriately prominent vein in my neck before him and slides the not inconsiderable hollow needle into it before pushing own on the plunger. The sickly yellow substance slowly drains into my body and the needle is withdrawn.

The Man holding my hair laid me on the ground and I whimpered in pain, I try to keep my eyes open but it was becoming difficult to move the cries which escaped my throat sounded like someone was strangling me. Incoherent Russian caught my attention but there was no fighting the darkness which encompassed my vision.

I wake up later on in the afternoon horrified the sight of black wings. Wings where my human arms should be. I gasped in fright and marvelled at my wingspan.  I nearly fell back at the sight in the tiny and cracked mirror.

“All those drugs,” I thought harshly to myself. “And look at what they've done to me. I'm a freaking birdbrain.” I try to bring back your arms but I can't quite will my arms to return. The camera in the upper corner of the room blinks to life and I know they're watching me. I have to be strong and not let them see me cry. I try to wipe away the oncoming tears but the feathers just stab me in the eye and tickle my bloody nose. 

I soon grow frustrated and slump against the wall. I begin to think about how my life would be in the near future. “Will I ever get out of this place?  I wonder. Or will I die from all the drugs they pumped into my body? This time I do cry. My wails ring out throughout the walls of my tiny cell. They didn't have to do this to me. I could have lived a normal live and only have to worry about homework. The tears leave wet streaks down my cheeks.

I hear the sound of my cell door unlocking and creaking open. Multiple pairs of hands grab my jet black wings and I panic. They pull, pinch, and measure each wing.  “Let me go!” I scream fighting to break free from their grip but they only tightened their grip to stop me from struggling and fighting back.

One doctor wearing a surgical mask pulls out a long syringe filled with green liquid. He plunges it into my left shoulder. I don't even feel the pain anymore. The green liquid enters my bloodstream which sends numbness throughout my body. The wings evaporate into my arms once again. An essence of calmness washes over my body and I fall asleep.
The next morning I wake up, my head spinning, god only knows what they did to me while I were out.

“Do I have all my body parts?” I thought. I ask myself that question a lot lately.

I heard shuffling outside the cell door. I look out the tiny window and see a pair of vibrant yellow eyes staring at me.

“Another experimental hybrid?” I thought with confusion upon my face

"Run!"  I heard.

I take off running down the hall. At the end of a long hallway, past cages and cages of hybrids of all different breeds, was a window. I try to pry it open but it was sealed shut. I can hear the shouting of doctors getting close. I have no choice but to smash it.

I look out the window and saw huge grey waves crashing against jagged rocks below. My only way out was to jump.

I extended my arms and felt a tingling sensation in my fingertips. As soon as I jumped I opened my eyes to see the world below me getting smaller and smaller.

I was flying and I was free.