Starting The Descend

• Dedicated to Brayden Hendy

The shower doesn't calm me as much as I’d hoped, but I get dressed choosing one of the dresses mother constantly bought me. A light blue v-neck with a ruffled bottom ending just above the knees is the only one that doesn't make me look like a helpless girl. Black ankle boots and long black socks go on next before I slip into fathers hunting closet. The black belt with 2 pouches and a knife holder slips around my waist resting on my hips. I place the black, red and purple Blackthorne family-hunting knife on the belt. Its handle shining in the light the gems glittering making spots of colour on the walls. I walk back into my room and put mothers silver hair comb and ribbon in the side pouch. Violets key is tied on next, the one she and I found in the old war rubble. She says it unlocks the road to peace and happiness. After sliding the silver dagger from the safety house back into my boot, I head off towards the war room preparing to take on the world.

Everyone is already sitting around the large rectangle wooden table when I walk into the war room, I walk to the head of the table and everyone stands as I enter and then sits after I do. I take in every face Phillip, Comrade his second in command, Tyler his assistant, 3 soldiers I’ve never seen before, Ross the security tech, Spark and wait a minute Spark, his eyes roaming my outfit, shaking his head in disapproval. A few more soldiers and Acquila but no one else, where are the others. "Sergeant" I order signalling for him to start. He looks at one of the soldiers, the black pants and camouflage shirt slightly creased, the light blue eyes of a boy just past 20, his blonde hair left long under the red soldiers cap. "The perimeter breach was discovered at 0100 hours, Prince Mark called at 0103 , notifying us that he was under attack and that we were going to be too." He takes a deep breath, "guards went to wake all agents, King Levin declared a code yellow, he and Queen Caltha sent agents Glen Fairwell and Tamara Roselack to protect princess Violet, they were then ambushed in the garage," he pauses clearly editing the story, "Princess Violet, agent Fairwell and agent Roselack as well as agent Qoshki are at this time missing believed kidnapped." he sits down "thank you Captain Conwell" Phillip says I meet the captains eyes and give him a small smile he returns it.

Spark stands, " I…I would like to debrief now." His voice shakes whatever he has to say is hard for him. "This morning at 0700 hours the door to safety house code named LT01 was breached at least 50 Reres attacked Atlair was taken down first, Pete and Jason ran down the hall to where we assumed you were in bed. " He stops his voice cracks, "Atlair must've died and been changed because when they came looking for you he attacked along with them, I ran outside I went around hoping to find that you'd managed to sneak outside." I look over at Acquila, he meets my eyes and I feel his hand grip mine under the table." I heard fighting in the gym, I went and tried the door but it was locked so I went into the bush to try to call for help, I managed to get the call out and then something hit me and I woke up in the bush soldiers were all around the house and well yeah." He falls into his seat, having trouble breathing, "I failed" he whispers looking right at Acquila and I, "I failed to protect you, my one job." I stand keeping a firm grip on Quila’s hand, "Spark! You are dismissed, someone will be to see you tomorrow to tell you your duties, be ready and waiting you are needed in the castles time of need, you did good today agent,." He looks up at me and I can see the tears in his eyes he thinks he’s a disappointment but he did what he was supposed to, "Now go and get cleaned up." I lower myself into my chair and wait for Spark to leave the room as soon as the soundproofed door closes behind him I turn to Phillip. "Where are they," I hold up my hand as he makes a move to interrupt, "I’m short on time facts, details, need to know, I have places to be. I think" I snap at him, I just want to leave if Pete was awake and able he would be here, so the fact that he isn’t means something has happened. I fight against the tears that threaten to burst free. "Duke Jason, Agent Kellz and agent Garmst were not on the premise when our men arrived; no communication has gotten through to them. A large amount of blood was found in the floor believed to be Duke Jason’s," he pauses, "from his leg mid thigh large gash." I say the images of Jas on the ground bleeding profusely from his leg flash through my mind, " so you’re telling me is that we lost Atlair, Jason, Pete, Tamara, Glen, Violet, Sandra and we don’t know where they are if they are dead or alive." My voice shakes and I fight hard to keep it calm, "well when someone has some good fucken’ news you can come and get em until then I don’t want to be disturbed." I growl before walking from the room.

I don’t let the tears fall until I’m safely in my bedroom with the door firmly closed. The bed complains as I throw myself onto it. "WHY!" I scream at no one before throwing my lamp across the room. I stay like that crying and attacking helpless objects until I finally fall asleep too exhausted to continue.