prom queen

I enter the choir room, hearing the girls chat, "What are you guys talking about?"

"Prom dresses." Lauren answers as I sit down, I sigh,
"Thank God I don't have to worry about that. I'm not going."

Kurt looks at me, "Why not?"

"'Cause nobody's asked me." I frown.

"Alright, guys – prom." Mr Shue says, writing prom on the board, I roll my eyes.

"Please tell me we're not doing songs about prom." Sam sighs, "Nope...we are the prom. Figgins has asked us to perform." I frown.

"Let's do Run Joey Run." We all give Rachel a skeptical look.

"Now, I know this isn't ideal with Nationals coming up, but we really don't have a choice. And, we could really use the money. But I know that prom is a special rite of passage. I want to make sure that all of you guys get a chance to enjoy the dance, too. So we're gonna stag at the performances so that each and every one of you has a lot of time to dance with your dates."

"Excuse me." I stand up and leave, I couldn't hear them talk about prom when I can't even go.

I walk to my locker and busy myself with it, until Rachel walks over, I roll my eyes and sigh.

"Hey. You know, I don't have a date to prom, either." I look at her with disbelief, "You know, I know that I talk a good game about this year being about me. I just really want to take a date to the prom. I want the dress, and the guy...the damn corsage." I scoff, shoving things into my locker.

"Somebody...somebody still may ask you."

I look at her sadly, "It's this Saturday. You know, I just wanted to be Cinderella. Just for one night. One night where a guy would...would look at me under those corny crepe paper streamers and say, "You look so beautiful." Then he'd grab my hand and ask me to dance. Isn't that what prom is supposed to be about?" I say, thinking of the one guy I want.

"You're not gonna go to prom alone. You'll go with me."

"That's even more depressing." I dryly laugh.

"I have a plan." I look at her curiously.

⊱ ────── {.⋅ ♫ ⋅.} ───── ⊰

I wait in the auditorium for Rachel to come back, are plan was to ask Sam, and we would give him the money for it.

I suddenly hear talking and I freeze, "Is this a surpise party or something? Because my birthday was last week." That was Sam.

"It was? Um, no. Abby and I, we have a proposition for you." We stand in front of him, I'm very nervous obviously.

"We were wondering if you'd like to go to prom with us." I ask, fiddling with my hands.

"Kind of like a three-way date, but not the dirty kind." Rachel states, Sam chuckles, "That sounds great, but I can't afford to take one girl to the prom. I don't know how I'm gonna take two."

Rachel pulls out a few bills with a $20 bill on top. "What's this?" Sam asks.

"Our prom budget." Rachel confirms.

"You're gonna have to borrow a suit from your dad," Rachel hands the $20 bill to Sam, "and we're gonna buy $5 dresses down at the Goodwill and make our own corsages out of flowers from my mom's garden." I smile at him softly.