Chapter 10 - Part 2

"Was Isabel at all injured?" Andrew asked Alysandir while they oversaw the training.

"No. You have done well with these soldiers, Andrew. When I came here last they were drunk and slovenly."

"Thank you. I can take little credit. Lady Isabel had watched our practice sessions and spoke to her father about removing William. He was against it until his first was accused of conspiring with Gilbert to kill Isabel. Once he was punished, Lady Isabel put her plan into action and placed Ingram over the new recruits and me over the experienced men. She brought back strategies on how to effectively train the men."

"Yes, it looked very familiar to me when I watched these men Tuesday." He paused. "Andrew, why would you allow Isabel to go into battle?"

"Because she is damn good. I didn't want her to come, of course, but short of tying her down, I didn't see it being possible. No doubt she would escape even if I had her bound."

"You have exclusively trained her?"

"No, sir. She came to me with knowledge of the bow and the sling and had just gotten a sword made. Ian and Dylan are your soldiers, right, sir?"

"Aye. This cousin that is visiting, Mathilda, why do you disagree with her presence?" He watched Andrew carefully. He hid his discomfort well, but it was also clear that he wanted to disclose the truth to Alysandir.

"I have no wish to lie to you, Laird. But I am bound to not speak the truth."

"Isabel wants you to lie to me?"

"No, sir! She was supposed to have told you by now, I don't know why she hesitates."

"She will tell me tonight over dinner. Where is Mathilda staying?"

"One of the cottages. Her location is kept secret. I do not know where it is exactly."

"You don't need to protect Isabel from me, Andrew. She's safe with me."

"I know, sir. But sometimes she needs to be protected from herself."

As much as Alysandir wanted to press Isabel for the truth that night, he held his tongue. Until they learned to settle things peacefully, Isabel would only keep more to herself.

"I watched you training the soldiers today," she smiled. "I have never seen such smoothness and accuracy! You are amazing, truly."

He wanted to bed her right there on the table. "Thank you," he settled. "Andrew tells me you are accomplished in battle. Those coins I intercepted were not an exaggeration?"

She had no interest recounting the death of those men. "I have never done the one move you demonstrated. Pounce, roll, thrust behind you." He looked so appealing tonight. The form of his chest muscles penetrating his clothing, his thighs were so strong she wanted to run her fingers up them straight to his chest. His hair was still damp and she wondered why he decided to bathe before dinner instead of after. She noted his preference in her mind. "Tell me of your exploits in the north. I have heard some rumors of your prowess, but told from the viewpoint of a commander is by far more exciting."

So he regaled her while she ate and he was watching her glow with wonderment. He had seen one of his best friends from his youth die, but he didn't want to mention that. It was invigorating to be her hero and to tell her of his battle strategies and for her to nod in understanding, to know his terms and at what point the battle turns. He could be free with her and it was relieving. If only he could show her the same pleasure. If only she would unburden herself to him. Trust takes so long to build, he realized.