Chapter 2 - Part 1

Isabel couldn't sleep at all. It was strange to be in a house full of females and she felt more than vulnerable. No soldier in sight, and that was strange for her. She kept the vigil until she heard Annie stirring in the hour before dawn and collapsed beside Eva on the hard bedding. After a few scant minutes of sleep she awoke once more and cleaned up before her "lessons" with Annie. Eva had been in bed since her arrival and Isabel thought it best that she not frighten the girl with her presence when she awoke.

"You are up early," Annie said cheerfully. "Eva sleeps like the dead, but the body will demand what it needs. It looks to me like your body will be wantin' a few more hours. What did you do? Stay up the night worrin'?"

"That's precisely what I did, Annie."

"Well, I've learned that the mind won't work when the body doesn't sleep. So before I show you anything about healing, you've got to have a good night's rest. Let me make you something to eat."

"I'm really not hungry."

"That's your nerves talking, Lady Isabel. I've got herbs for that."

Isabel curled up next to the fire while Annie made breakfast. She was a small woman with dark brown hair that had begun to gray a little. She moved with a calmness that Isabel envied, for she had grown weary of the troubles that had eaten at her stomach since the death of her mother and her father's protracted grieving period. "What shall my duties be in this household?" Isabel asked. Truly, though she was married to the mighty Alysandir, she was just a child and as this household had no servants to direct, she must do her share of work. "All must carry their weight. Is that not so?"

"Aye, here we must." Annie did not want her laird or Isabel's husband to come and see the child put to hard labor when she surely was not accustomed to such, being a rich lady. "You may only do what you are comfortable doing." She was silent for a long while thinking of a way to speak to this child about the serious matters for which she surely came. Isabel was given a little bowl with herbs at the bottom and hot water was ladled on top of it. "For your nerves," Annie offered. "Drink this then we will think about breakfast." She sat down next to Isabel who waited for the concoction to cool a little. "You're not here to learn about herbs, are you dear?"

"Yes, I indeed am. Well, I am eager to do so, but that is not why I was placed here, as you know."

"You are here for Eva." She watched Isabel tilt her head in a gentle nod. "It was foolish of her to come here and cause so much trouble, but I would not have her marry that fool of a MacPhail. You cannot convince me to make her leave. He'll kill her, he will."

"Surely not!" Isabel exclaimed in surprise.

"Oh, he's told her that if she tries to get out of the marriage, he will slit her throat. He walked out and did just that to her dog."

"Her father must know the sort of man Roger is."

"Aye he knows. But the money is more important to him. If he doesn't get money soon, he will lose all he has. Angus is my brother and I love him, but he's put little Eva in a terrible spot."

"Has she told you if her affections lie elsewhere or if she just does not wish to marry Roger?"

"Oh, I can tell her heart is breakin' for another, but she won't say it."

"How can you tell that she is in love?"

"She sleeps all day and moons about half in tears. Whoever he is, she's put him in a bad place. Can't start more than three wars in a month, says I," Annie chuckled.