Chapter 2 - Part 2

The brisk air revived his spirits and by the time he had reached Annie's cottage, he was full of smiles. That expression changed rapidly when he approached the door, which immediately opened wafting pungent herbs into his nose. Annie beamed up at him as if his presence set all matters right and he nodded in return. After ducking into her home he simply stated, "I've come to collect my wife for the evening. We have much to discuss." He sounded graver than he intended and Eva giggled in the corner. She was a pretty little simpleton. Aunt Annie pushed Isabel, looking a little disheveled, toward the door. "Settled in, wife?"

"Yes, my lord. Thank you for asking," Isabel said. Eva coughed significantly. "Is there something I can do for you, Alysandir?" she asked when he was silent for a full minute.

"Would it put you out if I brought her back in the morning, Annie?" Alysandir asked.

"Not at all. Isabel, we will pick this-. Lady Isabel," she corrected herself in front of Alysandir, "we shall finish this batch tonight and I will tell you how it is done in the morning. Eva, fetch Isabel's things."

"She won't need them, thank you, Annie."

"Goodnight, Eva, Annie. I will see you tomorrow." Isabel threw on her cape and went to her mare.

"No, Isa. Leave her. It is a beautiful night and you did say you wanted to ride Rampage, didn't you?"

She was breathless as she approached the stallion, which nudged her familiarly. "Yes, I did say that."

"Come to me, then." He had already mounted and easily lifted Isabel into the saddle in front of him. "Look up at the stars, little one." He urged his horse into a walk and watched Isabel's breath disappear in the cold night. She shivered a bit and he pulled her up against his chest and wrapped his warm cloak around her.

She must be delusional from all of the herbs, she thought. Or perhaps it was all of Eva's sophistries about love: how she loved lying against Fergus' chest and how soft his lips were against hers. Imagining Fergus kissing anyone was nearly revolting to Isabel. But now, cradled in the strong arms of her husband, she began to consider its appeal. Her cheek rested against his chest and she felt his strong heartbeat. Remembering what Eva said about smelling Fergus, she pulled at his tunic just a little and turned her face to breathe in his fragrance. He smelled like wood burning outside and the closer she got to his skin, the more she noticed his clean, masculine smell. It meant little more than comforting observations at her young age, but she decided that these things would definitely be listed in the compliment category after they made an heir together.

She was very quiet tonight, thought Alysandir. He wondered if she were adjusting well enough or if the lionesses had taxed her as much as he had been taxed today by the laundry list of complaints. "Urge him to run free, Isa."

Instantly she adjusted herself in the saddle and applied quick gentle pressure with her legs calling him to a gallop. She bubbled with laughter and forgot how cold she was a moment ago. It was refreshing to leave all of Eva's silly worries behind and forget about how to solve Fergus' problem and how to appease Aunt Annie. It was rather like having three Gillians to worry about and it was a little more than she wished to manage. Having Alysandir do his duty toward her was a reward in itself, but to have him rescue her altogether was exhilarating. Rampage climbed the hill with ease and they reached the Davidson holding in no time. Alysandir helped her to dismount and then pulled the hood of her cloak close around her face.

It occurred to her that he was deliberately trying to hide her appearance from the men. He literally pulled her upstairs to his chamber before he allowed her to remove her hood.