Chapter 9

"Where is Isabel?" Alysandir's voice was harder than he intended, filled with frustration.

Isabel was not only confused, but also irritated. What did he mean, 'where is Isabel?' She was standing right in front of him. Didn't he recognize his own wife? "Where is Isabel?" she repeated slowly.

The woman was daft, Alysandir concluded. "Aye. Where is my wife? Did God not bless your pretty head with a little reason?"

Isabel drew a breath and heard Andrew cough behind her. "Apparently precious little, Alysandir. I am sure Isabel is not far. Your visit takes us much by surprise. Please allow me to accompany you the rest of your way. What brings you to Bamborough today?"

"I am sure you know I come to collect my wife. How has she been?"

"She has been quite well. In fact, I doubt you would recognize her when you lay eyes upon her."

"You don't think I would recognize my own wife?" his brows furrowed as he looked at 'Gillian.'

"One would think so." Andrew coughed again and Isabel dropped it. "I see you have captured the stable master's son. Has Gabriel done you any harm that you treat him so?"

"Not I, but he does betray his mistress," Alysandir stated.

One of the soldiers cupped his huge hand over the boy's mouth before he could protest.

Isabel's brows furrowed and she immediately turned to look at the boy and then stepped closer to Andrew and tilted her head to hear his words.

"He was trailing Gilbert's spies. Border guards alerted me at daybreak that fires had broken out at several locations suspected of harboring these spies. Gabriel is innocent of these charges," Andrew whispered.

"You will see to his freedom then. Why did you not tell me earlier about the fires?" she whispered so lowly that Andrew could barely hear her.

"I was about to."

Isabel hid her irritation.

"You are not concerned with our prisoner?" Alysandir asked in surprise.

She laughed. "I do not interfere with Isabel's duties." They arrived at the stables and Isabel rushed to the stable master and whispered: "Do not fear for your son. He is suspected of being in league with Gilbert, but Andrew will have him cleared by noon. Be kind to these men, my husband is the Laird of Chattan."

"I can see his colors, Lady Gillian," he responded.

"Will your men stay in the barracks with Bamborough's soldiers?" Isabel addressed Alysandir as he tenderly rubbed his stallion and gave instructions to the stable master regarding his care.

"Another touchy one?" he smiled at Isabel. "I bet Lady Isabel is the only one that can get near him."

"That's true," Alysandir smiled, noticing how Gillian kept her distance from Rampage. He turned and addressed his sister-in-law's question. "My men can sleep outside in the open."

"Nonsense," Isabel stated too quickly. "The barracks have just been renovated and there is plenty of room there, even if your men wish to maintain their distance from ours."

"Very well," Alysandir relented. He turned to one of the stable boys and said: "Send for Lady Isabel. She is needed immediately by her husband."

The stable boy looked confused and then glanced at Isabel who nodded. The boy departed, looking back a couple of times. Isabel raised her brows and exhaled with pursed lips. "Shall I show you to your chambers?" she asked her husband after the soldiers had gathered their things and Andrew had led them toward the barracks.