Chapter 1 - Part 2

She began to leave the room and then turned back and approached the Scotsman. Isabel took a steadying breath and looked him in the eyes. Good God, his gaze could part a mountain, she thought. "My lord, I vow to you that I will obey and please you."

"Save your vows for the proper time, child. The priest will arrive shortly."

"Yes, my lord, but I thought it important that you should hear it without... coercion."

He laughed warmly drawing her father's attention. Was she charming him already? Please, God.

"Then I accept your vow," he smiled. She breathed her relief and smiled up at him. She was about to take her leave when he said: "Be ready to leave when you come down again. We shall be departing immediately." She could not hide her disappointment but nodded her assent.

"Surely you can stay for the marriage feast," Richard urged when the girls had left to prepare for the wedding.

"I must see to a difficulty between the clans MacPhail and Davidson. If I delay longer it will be war between them."

"Allow my daughter to return for Gillian's wedding. She has nerves that no one can calm save Isabel. The child also has a fondness for lists and such. If you wish I will send supplies of this nature to her."

"You are aware that Perth provides all variety of pleasures and needs alike. No such supplies are required unless you wish to send them to her. She will be very well cared for." Alysandir was proud of his fair home, his castle on the River Tay. Anyone would prefer it to this dreary place that clearly needed not just upkeep, but renovation. Aye, he was aching to get his feet back on his own lands.

Isabel had barely stepped into her bath when Gillian burst into her chamber. "I shall die here without you," she declared with reddened eyes. "Whatever will I do with Papa?"

Mary, the buxom lady's maid who had cared for their mother until her death three years ago, shooed Gillian to the side while she scrubbed Isabel roughly. She held back her protestation because she knew time left was short and she most certainly did not think it best spent lounging in a bath. "You won't die! And think, you will be with your dear Henry shortly." Her head was doused with water and before she could rub her eyes, she was pushed under entirely while her hair was cleaned. "Gently, Mary! I would think you wish me gone too soon or that you spare me from marriage by drowning me in my bathwater."

"No, child. I was told to have you down as soon as I can and you know how your father can be when he is crossed."

"Isabel crosses him constantly," Gillian said aloud.

"Aye, but she reminds your father of your dear mother and he doesn't mind it a bit. Mind you, Isabel that your husband will not take to such behavior when you leave here." Isabel looked at her body beneath the water. Mary noticed and sent Gillian to fetch the special ribbons set aside for this day. When she was gone, Mary stopped pulling at Isabel's hair. "Now listen, child. A husband must...must."

"I know he must make an heir with me."

"You pretend to know more than you do, little one. A man can make this pleasant, or he can simply do his duty. Either way, you keep your mouth shut the first time and say somethin' nice about it afore he leaves or falls asleep. Put it in your memory, Isabel."

"Say something nice? Like what, Mary? May our heir be strong and happy. Will that do?"

"No, it won't. Say that he -." Gillian burst into the room before the words could be passed on and within minutes, she was pulled into her mother's wedding dress. It was a deep shade of green with golden edging. Her hair was loose and tiny braids were made and carefully knotted together in an intricate design overlaying the rest of her wheat colored hair.