Chapter 29

We were running, winnowing in small jumps when our energy levels filled up enough for us to make them. But a small tendril of darkness continued to follow us from the black cloud of darkness which laid upon our armies at the base of the mountain like a plague.

"We can't keep going like this. We can't lose them." I yelled between pants. I had never been happier for Cassian's training.

"Go I'll fight them off long enough for you to escape." Mor also breathed between breathes. We had to have run a couple of miles by now.

"No! I'm not leaving you".

"Now's not the time to be a hero Feyre. You have a son. You are the high lady of the night court. Besides it's not me they want; they'll leave me alone after a while."

I stayed silent.... she was right. We continued on for a couple more minutes before she nodded to me and we split. I winnowed ahead, as far as my energy levels allowed me too and stopped. Just because she was right doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I couldn't just run away while my people were being slaughtered on that field for me.

It didn't matter that they volunteered or that they pledged to die for me. I wouldn't have another family and their futures ripped away for me. My family was out there, and I knew how to protect them.

I ran up to a small hill and once I reached the peak, I could see the overview of my city. It was deserted, not a single light lit or a person in sight. The view sat uneasy in my throat as I readied myself for what I was going to do. I had a suspicion these past weeks, but I never confirmed it until now. My scar was not a scar at all, but rather a beacon, tracing back to me. And I couldn't put all those who I love at risk for my protection. There was only one thing I could do.

I touched my pulsing scar and begged it to come to me. I could feel the returning calls and the pulses of life attached to it. All at once the dark cloud rose up into the sky, revealing hundreds of soldiers shielding their eyes from the sudden blinding sun. I saw Rhys standing there, covered it a dark ooze, wondering what had happened. The cloud came shooting for me at record speed, there wasn't much I could do. I felt Rhys eyes on me and met them

I love you Rhys. More than you'll ever know. Make sure G knows I love him

And before he could respond I casted out my hands and sealed my mind behind a wall of black adamant stone. The cloud stopped inches from me and I grunted at the impact as I tried to control it. I fell to my knees and felt more that saw Rhys in panic. But there

Was nothing he could do, not fast enough before I hurled the cloud into me, into the inky black scar. Reunited with its missing piece. But I felt my self-drain away and my eyes sweep into darkness. It was different than before, there was a sort of peace to it. My mind gave in to the darkness and I was no one. I was darkness.

Rhys pov.

"FEYREEEEE"

I winnowed to the spot I had last seen her; she had just vanished. I was too slow, I was too slow to react to what she told me, to what was happening. All I could do was stop and watch as she hurled all the darkness into herself before vanishing. The message she left for me-

"Rhys" I heard a familiar voice but all I could do was stare at the spot where she was just mere seconds ago.

"Rhys!" It was Cassian, I turned to see him wipe a tear from his face before he thought I would notice. I was crying too I realized, no not crying, sobbing.

"We need to find her. I- "

Mor came running up the hill and I turned to her

"YOU were supposed to protect her!"

"Rhys...." she was sobbing as well. I wasn't being rational. She had done all that she could. Feyre would have done what she did even with me. But caldron with reason.

"We need to find her. Where Amren!?"

~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you guys for all your support! It really means a lot! And for 29k! Thats actually insane! Thank you! Hope you like this cliff hanger!
-S