Chapter 17

We all dined together the next morning before winnowing to the camp. We agreed that Az would stay here to rule the city as tradition in the night court demands. One person from the inner circle must always stay behind and protect the city. And while Az would be valuable and essential in finding whatever this is, he never cared for the Illyrian camps anyways.

I turned to Elain remembering her seer powers. I never knew how much they extended. A year and a half ago I once talked to her about it and got the barest details. I knew for certain that she could not see the past and the visions of the future came to her sometimes in feelings. But the present, I knew that came to her through visions and dreams. I still do not know what part of her power was used to locate the Suriel.

"Elain" I asked. "No, I don't sorry Feyre" Cassian and Rhys tried to hide their laughter and I giggled. "Were you expecting my question?" I said with a smile. She returned my smile "yes, but it doesn't take a seer to expect the question you would have asked." "In all seriousness though" Mor began "you haven't seen or felt anything regarding what's happening?" She shook her head.

"I tried, especially after yesterday but it's like there's a wall when I try to see Feyre or any part of the woods. Almost like a spell but the magic seems old, like it's a living thing and not some words said, or blood spilled to make it." "Hmmmm" we all said in unison. "Does it hurt Feyre?" Nesta asked. I shook my head and opened my mouth to tell her that if it weren't for the fact that I could see it, I wouldn't even know it was there. Rhys told me that it may be simply a mark and not anything that was spreading. Because indeed I woke up this morning and saw it no larger than it had been yesterday.

But I felt someone waking within my blood. The same time Rhys felt it. "I'll get him" I said to him as he began to rise from his chair. I winnowed in front of G's crib and smiled when I saw the blinking boy laying in his crib. "Well hello there little one." I said with a big smile. I reached down and picked him up bringing him to my face and giving him a big kiss on the forehead which made him smile. "Not sleepy anymore?" No reply. Not that I expected one. He just continued to stare at me with wide eyes and grabbed the ends of my hair with his tiny hands. I didn't understand why I thought parenting would be so hard. I mean, I'm exhausted and indeed it was more than I expected, but when I look at G it makes the sleepless nights worth it. He's worth everything.

I winnowed back down to the table just as Mor and Cass reached for him. They stared at each other. "Me first" they said. I clamped my lips to keep from laughing. "Cousin you held him yesterday, let Cass hold him for a bit." She placed a hand on her chest as if to look hurt and stuck out her tongue at him as she sat down. Elain peered over Cassian's shoulder to glance at G and smiled at her nephew. Az sent little shadows around G which seemed to relax him. Interesting.

Just then Elain gasped as if she was struck in the chest and took a couple steps back. Az was instantly there. "Elain what is it." Tears rimmed her eyes. "The mating bond......it's gone." That must mean that Lucien was.... I didn't want to say it. Az disappeared for a couple minutes before returning and nodding his head in confirmation. He was dead. Dead. I fell into my seat. Rhys was instantly behind me grabbing my hands. Thank the cauldron Cass was holding G because I didn't know if I could have. We all just stood there in shock. In silence.

"We should go. To where he was. Investigate. Pay our respects." I began but the others cut me off. "It's final girl. We can't bring him back. And every minute we spend not at that camp is another minute your life is in danger." Amren surprisingly said. "But-""she's right darling" Rhys countered. "Damn it, it's not about me." I stood up and walked to Elain who was already being comforted by Nesta. "How are you?" I asked starring up into her eyes as I crouched down. "I-I...." she closed her eyes and I nodded, standing up.

"We can spare an hour or two before we leave." Everyone seemed like they wanted to interfere but with Elain.... they nodded. Nesta and I helped her to her room where she sat on the bed and leaned against the headboard. "It feels strange. The emptiness I- "a tear slipped out of her eye. "Sleep Elain" Nesta said and kissed our sister on the head before heading out the door behind me. She shut it closed with a soft click and turned to me. "How can we help her? You know what it feels like." "I rather not go back to that moment Nesta." I shivered as I remembered how it felt for the mating bond to be in pieces when Rhys died. I shut my mind and eyes before I could remember any more. I shook my head at Nesta and turned to walk away. Nesta grabbed my arm hard not allowing me to move. "Nesta...." "you have to help her" she growled. "You don't think I want to!? Yes, I don't want to remember that moment, but I would for her. And the best advice I can give you is to leave her alone to sort it out herself. Because when I lost him. When I lost Rhys- "my voice cracked. "I would have slaughtered anyone who tried to take me away from him. So, unless Elain asks for something different, I will let her sort out her own feelings."

I yanked my arm from my sisters grasp and returned back downstairs. The others tried to pretend as if I they did not hear the conversation, but Rhys opened his arms to me, and I climbed into them. Cass was still holding G and gave no indication he wanted to give him back. In fact, he was rocking him back and forth to keep him sleeping and Az and Mor were staring at him like they had never seen this from him before. I raised my brows and turned to Rhys

I always knew there was a gushy side to him.

I bit my lip to keep from laughing.

Two hours later we were all keeping busy while we waited for Elain. We all mourned in our own way. Az was indeed spending this time finding out what happened and Mor was asleep on the couch, head in Cass's lap. Nesta hadn't come down from upstairs but Rhys and I were doing work on the dining table, G in my arms as he refused to go back to his crib.

Suddenly Elain came down with Nesta behind her and we all stood. "I'm ready" she said. I looked to Nesta for confirmation and she just nodded. Az popped back into the house and scanned her from head to toe before turning to us. "See you in three days." Rhys grabbed my hand along with Elain just as Mor grabbed Cass, Amren and Nesta. I gave G to Elain so he wouldn't be immediately seen when we arrived and then we were gone. The familiar shadows swirling around and around until the biting cold hit my face. Then the camp surrounded us. I could have winnowed myself but being at the camp for so little time and not knowing where exactly it was, I let Rhys take me. I blew out a breath and it fogged behind me. It really was cold here. I turned to Elain to ask that she cover him up, but she was already pulling his blanket closer around him. I threw her a grateful smile.

"Devlon. Can't say it's nice to see you again." Rhys purred drawing my attention again. Elain took a couple steps back, behind Mor, Cass, Nesta, and Amren. I hoped with all the power coming from us, the Illyrians wouldn't notice the amount radiating off G. Indeed, Rhys let out a little more power than usual, as if he too hoped they would pay attention to him and not G. If Devlon noticed the shift in power, he didn't show it. However, I hoped they wouldn't notice G at all. Even then, Rhys placed a shield around us all, doubling it, tripling it around G. "To what do I owe this pleasure?" "We'll need my mother's house." "It's been clear since your last visit."

He nodded and stepped around Devlon, the rest of us following. When he saw G though Devlon and his advisers behind him froze. "I forgot to congratulate you high lady." I stopped. "Thank you" I replied, itching to keep moving to get his smell away-. Elain moved past them just as the wind shifted and all three powerful Illyrians flinched. Flinched. Their heads whipped to us and before they could say anything, I stomped up to them. Right up to Devlon's face and sneered. "One of you touch him, go near him and I'll break every bone in your body before you can even scream." And walked away. They didn't say a word after that. None of us did until we stepped inside that house, Rhys starting a fire in the fireplace with his power, and we all released a breath none of us knew we were holding. "Well that went well." Amren said and I scoffed, a smile forming on my face. "I guess so."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you guys so much for the comments and support. They really mean everything.
-S