17 - Code Red

"This is only going to piss her off," Helena warned Thor and Tony

She couldn't believe this was their plan. Helena was to remain on the facility rooftop, with Thor close by. Tony and Bruce, in the hours before Wanda's arrival, had set up machines that would send sound waves bad enough to maybe disrupt Wanda's concentration, should she choose to use her powers. But, this would only work if Wanda was within the crossfire of both machines.

"This is the humane way to do this."

"No, it isn't. If you provoke her, I can't say that I didn't warn all of you."

"Let's hope we don't need to use these on her. If anything, Point Break should be able to handle her."

"He's got strength and a hammer, Wanda has magic."

"You do know he's the God of Thunder, right?"

"Well, her magic might be able to match up or even best a god. Tell me, Thor, do you possess any magic like she does?"

Thor didn't answer, which in turn answered Helena's question.

"Uh, guys, we've got a code red," came Clint's concerned tone over comms. Helena was equipped with one in case the Avengers needed her location. "It looks like she's rearing for a fight. She got to Tasha and Steve."

Helena's eyes widened. Wanda was controlling them, and Clint was facing them, alone.

"Don't let her get inside of your head," Thor demanded.

"She hasn't before; this time won't be any different."

Helena had understood some Avengers refusing to be armed, to try and show Wanda they were no threat. It only landed them in the witch's grasp, under her magic. Helena felt slightly sick to her stomach at the thought. "I need to talk her down. Get me back inside and let me find her." Helena started to walk for the door that led off the roof. Thor grabbed her arm. "Listen, you don't want to piss me off. I told you what my power is, don't let it come out. I don't think anyone wants to see if my power can kill a god."

"I'll go back in," said Tony. "Thor's got the remote, so when she's in range, if need be, he can activate the machines."

"Don't hurt her, please."

"If she throws first punch, kiddo, I can't just take it without throwing one back."

Helena growled in frustration as Tony disappeared back into the facility. She was no special object that, if destroyed, would in turn destroy the world. They treated her like she was the prize at the end of a game!

"If you had just listened to me and let me do this my way, she wouldn't be controlling your friends," Helena said matter-of-factly to Thor. "Do you know what she might have them do to themselves, or each other?"

"She got into our heads once before. I can't speak for the others, but she gave me a very convincing hallucination that helped her, Ultron, and her brother escape." The God of Thunder frowned at the recollection.

"Maybe she was being nice then, but I don't think she will be this time. Please, Thor, you have to understand: Wanda is a wounded animal right now. She lost her brother; she might feel like she'll lose me because of you guys. If I can just talk to her, maybe I can stop things from getting bad."

CRASH. To Helena's ears, it sounded like windows shattering. With a yank, Thor pulled her close to his side. Helena screamed as he launched them both into the air.

Not again. Helena really hated flying like this.

A force squeezed Helena against Thor, forcing the air out of her lungs.

"Not again," came an accented hiss.

With a gasp, Helena was ripped from Thor. As he continued further into the sky, Helena was...well, she wasn't falling per se. Rather, she was being floated down towards more stable ground.

She found herself once again in Wanda's arms.

"You really got to stop doing this," Helena said, her cheeks reddening.

"Don't ruin the cute moment we're having in the midst of this fight," Wanda retorted playfully. "I'm taking you home."

Helena was jostled in Wanda's arms, as Thor knocked himself into the pair. Wanda and Helena wrapped arms around each other as the three headed for the grass floor. Helena felt one hand of Wanda's disappear from her, and once she saw Thor begin to drop faster towards the ground, Helena felt her stomach drop.

The God of Thunder made a crater in the lawn upon impact.

Wanda floated the two back to the facility roof.

"I didn't kill him, I just gave him something to think about," Wanda said when Helena looked to her.

Wait. The machines!

Wanda and Helena cried out as sound waves attacked their ears. Helena buckled to her knees, feeling the need to rip her ears off so the pain would stop. Through squinting eyes, she saw Wanda have her hands on her ears.

But Thor has the remote! He's knocked out!

"Wanda, this needs to stop!" In the sky, Tony Stark, decked out in his Iron Man suit, hovered.

"Stop!" Helena screeched. Her loud volume made her ears hurt worse.

What was even worse was that Wanda looked about ready to pass out from her pain.

The noise lessened but remained loud enough to hold the two women at bay.

"Shut it off, tin head!" Helena yelled again, almost pleading this time.

Helena had a ringing in her ears long after the machines were turned off.

Stark descended, landing on the roof. He didn't remove his face plate, a smart move on his part.

Helena looked to Wanda, who had a new fury lit in her eyes. Helena took a few steps back as Wanda tensed like a crouched animal.

"Be a good girl and stand down," Stark said firmly.

Instead of Wanda attacking Stark, from the roof entrance, Natasha Romanoff and Steve Rogers came barreling out. The two tackled Stark, and Wanda grabbed Helena.

Wanda, what are you doing? What have you done?

"Release them," Helena demanded.

"What?" Wanda blinked in surprise.

"Stop your magic. Give them their minds back, Wanda. This isn't the way to handle this."

"They drew first blood. This is what they deserve. Come, there's one more thing we need to do before we can leave."

"Can we not? How about you undo the damage and we just talk it out with them?"

"No, there was a time for talking. That is long gone. Helena, please."

For the first time, Helena noticed how this was taking its toll on Wanda. How tired the witch looked. Would her powers hold up at this rate? Would they wear off, and the Avengers come back to their senses?

"As long as it doesn't involve hurting anyone else, then I'll amuse you."