Like Bitter Tangerine

"The weight of a simple human emotion."

___________CHARLIE______________

Time passes differently in the summer. Whether it feels slower or faster, nothing about time in the summer applies to any other part of the year. Maybe it's that sense of nostalgia you get listening to music in the car with that one group of friends. Or the exhilarating feeling that takes over when you realize that there's no school tomorrow. Whatever it may be it intoxicates the youth like an airborne drug. Everything about the summer was mesmerizing. The weather, the food, the company and the feeling of infinite youth. Summer can be defined by the smiles and the laughter, or for lovers, the kisses and the romance.

Summer was Charlie's favorite season and he spent it almost the same way every year. He would spend most days with Erik at the skatepark watching him while sketching or writing. It most often ended with Erik receiving a bad scrape and Charlie fussing about it until Erik let him patch it up. Those were the sweetest summers, they tasted like melted ice cream and secrets. They looked like band-aids and shark tooth smiles. They remained in Charlie's forefront memories like freshly taken polaroids. Other days were spent with the group as a whole. Whether it was at the barrens or Charlie's house, those days were unpredictable. Popcorn, scary movies and games. A soft vintage beat of music from the record player in the living room. Ending with a stargazing session in whatever field they could break into without getting into trouble. Summers were Charlie's favorite because for those solid three months it seemed the world faded into hazy tones that left everyone with a smile. People were nicer and the long days were chased by exciting nights.

Charlie's hand drifted outside the window. Swimming up and down the endless rush of wind that fought against his palm. The sun was bright and burning above them like a guardian. Charlie's ocean irises were hidden behind sunglasses as he let the wind tickle his neck and push his curls in all different directions. Bright colors washed past his vision like a smeared painting and Charlie took a deep breath. What part of paradise had he floated into on this Wednesday afternoon? Tearing his eyes away from the window Charlie spared a glance to Jack. He seemed to be almost glowing in the bright summer shine that reflected off his sunglasses. He wore this smile of a fascinating nature. Jack had a rare smile. It came around every so once in awhile and swept the witness off their feet. It was a crooked smile, gapped teeth all around but Charlie thought it was perfect. His front gap was undoubtedly adorable and one of the reasons Charlie fell so hard. Jack's hair was swimming up and down with the gusts of wind as his calloused hand tapped the steering wheel with the music. Everything about this moment was perfect. Charlie chuckled softly and stole a quick kiss to Jack's cheek. Jack looked over with pink cheeks and a flustered smile.

"What was that for?" Jack chuckled lightly and Charlie shrugged.

"Do I need a reason?" Charlie continued singing the song on the radio.

Charlie and Jack were heading towards town to run a few errands for the day. Charlie's house had begun to run dangerously low on food and Raven was becoming insufferable because of it. And it didn't seem that his parents were going to make an appearance anytime soon if the money they sent was any consolation. So, Charlie took the two hundred dollars and asked Jack if he felt like going to the market district today. It was a small area of town that was a cross between a few outdoor stores and a farmers market. Nearly forgotten on the weekdays, the two blocks of shops were fully stocked for Charlie to get whatever he and his sister would need for an undetermined amount of time. Luckily, Jack was eager to spend the day out with Charlie and Charlie was just happy to have the company. While he would have preferred his sister, Raven planned on spending the day with Marina but Charlie knew it was an excuse to not go. Raven loved shopping but her vision strictly stuck to retail in that sense. Charlie didn't blame her, it wasn't the most exciting thing in the world for anyone.