Time and Space Between Us

Growing distance
Free of explanations
We're getting deeper in this mess
______________ERIK______________

The first thing Erik felt when he woke up was his physical pain. The lilac, violet and dandelion shades scattered across his body harshly. Each movement causing them to stretch and scream. The scrapes that covered his palms grabbed the white sheets as they stung profusely. He was sure he had bruised ,if not broken, ribs. Erik sat up with a groan and took a few labored breaths before being able to move again. Any logical person would have gone to the hospital but for Erik's family that wasn't really an option. His mother couldn't hold a job and when his father was home all he did was yell and cause more problems than solutions. So, he would just have to let his body heal however it wanted to and hope he wasn't permanently injured.

The second thing Erik felt when he woke up was his emotional pain. This was, if possible, much worse. His heart felt like it had been ripped from his chest all bloody and gross. He felt like his brain was fuzzy and nothing made sense. Charlie had wanted to kiss Erik in that moment, that much Erik was sure of. His injured palm found its way to his face as he placed it where Charlie's was. Erik wanted to take what he said back because he hadn't meant it. He cherished the moments he and Charlie shared. Charlie meant so much to him and Erik struggled to let him know that. He wanted to scream at this point, Charlie was going to go on an unintentional date with Jack and get dragged back into that relationship. And instead of being the voice of reason he and Charlie hashed it out. Now, Jack would be back because Charlie loved people and he loved giving people second chances. If he could just stop having this stupid crush then everything would be okay. He wouldn't care so much about Charlie and Jack. He could get a full nights sleep without crying pathetically to himself. Actually enjoy his summer and make stupid mistakes. But he didnt want to make stupid mistakes, he wanted Charlie and his goofy smile.

Erik stood and tried to straighten his posture best he could. He knew his dad would be home and the last thing Erik needed was a lecture. Because Erik's dad held certain expectations of the boy. Outdated rules on masculinity led Erik to believe he was weak most of his life. Over the years Erik learned to hide his feelings well enough to keep his dad quiet. Charlie was always saying showing your feelings was a sign of strength not weakness. Some great philosophy that stuck with Erik. While Erik usually held his own in a fight coming home in this bad of a state was sure to cause something of a reaction from his dad.

Erik wasn't really looking forward to the day ahead. He knew he would have to talk to Charles eventually but he didn't want to any time soon. Sure, it had been two days of silence but he couldn't bring himself to talk. Which he hated feeling, Charlie was supposed to be his green light. He also felt bad for his mood considering he was supposed to be hyped for the Peaches concert. They'd all been looking forward to it since they'd booked it. It was a big step up from performing at teenage parties.

"Erik, phone!" His mother's voice traveled up the stairs. Erik groaned and took a deep breath before going down the steps.

He rounded the corner and saw his dad standing there. Erik's father was an unruly man. His spiky brown hair was greasy and messier than usual from whatever bar fight he got in. Erik inherited most of his looks from his mother and as the years passed he was increasingly grateful. The sunken cheekbones and haunting features were nothing Erik wanted to see in the mirror. Erik noticed that his father's eyes were distracted and far away, which meant he wasn't sober. Which meant it was time for Erik to leave.

"Here, it's that Summers boy," His dad shoved the phone into Eriks chest causing him to grind his teeth in pain. Erik's dad walked away back to the living room and out of sight.

"Hey," Erik answered rubbing his ribs uncomfortably.

"Hey, everyone's heading down to the barrens for the day. A day of chill before we are all scrambling this weekend. Wanna come?" Darwin's voice came through the speaker enthusiastically but gently. It's been days since Erik and Charlie's fight and the lack of communication is killing everyone.