IN A DREAM

"Never knew loving could hurt this good."

________ERIK_________

Erik Lehnsherr was a generally heavy sleeper, something his mother claimed had been a big source of her worries when he was a baby. He never awoke to the sunrise shining in his eyes pleasantly or the noise of an alarm begrudgingly. His most reliant alarm through the school year was Charlie who called him until he answered. But, throughout the past two and a half weeks Charlie had been staying with him, his sleeping habits have changed considerably. All it would take was one whine of distress or mumble for Erik to be straight up and wide awake. Charlie's night terrors came in waves, some nights never appearing at all. But, when they did make their way into Charlie's slumber they came with a vengeance. Lasting all night and plaguing him the following day. Erik hated it probably more than anything. Charlie would have an unnatural slump. A weight that rested heavily on his shoulders. He always looked in pain, like he had paper skin and any contact triggered a new wave of heartache. Charlie would always try to tell Erik he was fine but he knew well enough. He knew that a day after night terrors meant Charlie needed space. He needed to come to Erik before Erik ever went to him. He would lay silent for hours before sprinting up with the need to do something. Those things could include cooking, cleaning or rearranging the house. But after a few hours the slump would return and Charlie would go to bed while the sun was still setting in the sky. And Erik would let him curl in his bed and in his blankets while Erik set up his own area to sleep on the couch. Those were the worst days. They broke Erik to a certain degree. But, the past three days had been especially nice for a change. The night terrors weren't making an appearance and Charlie's mood was soaring. So, Erik should have been prepared for another wave soon.

It always starts quiet, like muffled screams. Even those wake Erik up enough. Erik's head snapped over to the half deflated blow up bed he found in the attic. It bounced slightly as Charlie's movements got more hectic and rigid. His voice rising but never forming words. Erik turned on his lamp and got up to approach Charlie slowly.

"Hey, hey Charlie wake up buddy. Hey, you gotta wake up for me okay? It's not real, you're safe and sound. No one can hurt you, I'm right here," Erik repeated the words like a mantra in his mind. Charlie's eyes were squeezing and his face contorted in pain so bad it made Erik hurt.

His jaw was clenched as he moved his head back and forth with each small yelp and mumble of distress.

"Charlie, wake up it's not real you're safe. Come on, wake up," Erik tried again as his thumb slowly swiped back and forth on Charlie's cheek. And right when Erik was about to speak again Charlie shot forward with a shout that echoed in the halls horribly. Bouncing off the walls and into any object surrounding them. Charlie's eyes shot around the dimly lit room in a panic before meeting Erik's.

"I..." Charlie started and Erik hushed him softly.

"It's okay, you're okay," Erik smiled softly and Charlie began to calm down. His shirt was soaked in sweat and Erik leaned over to his open drawer to give Charlie a new one. He held onto it but didn't move, his hands trembling.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Erik offered and Charlie frowned.

"It was different this time but,uh, not yet," Charlie shook his head just staring at Erik before pulling him into a hug.

"Thank you for saving my life," Charlie whispered and Erik felt breathless. He squeezed Charlie in response afraid that if he spoke now it might just be a wheeze.

"This bed is crap, we should probably get a better one," Erik chuckled after a while and Charlie hummed in agreement. He was silent as they broke apart deep in thought. Erik was afraid of letting him stray too far so he raised a brow.