Chapter 28

-2 weeks later-

"Where are you going?" Spinel questioned, watching as Lapis was slipping on her jacket. "Mind your business." the bluenette shot back, not once looking over at her. "I'm not saying I care about your whereabouts half the time, I'm just saying that Steven said to get dinner started if he's not back by 6." Spinel explained, furrowing her eyebrows. "He said me specifically?" Lapis asked, arching a brow. "Well, no. But I'm certainly not doing i-" "Do you have anything better to do?" Lazuli cut her off.

"Do you have anything better to do besides ruin people's jobs?" Spinel then asked, squinting her eyes. "Nope." the bluenette deadpanned, even though that question most definitely struck a nerve in her. It's not worth it, Lapis thought, deciding to ignore it overall. "Lapis!" the front swung closed, and Lazuli was gone. She sprinted down the patio stairs, and hopped into her car without a second to spare. She hurriedly started the car, and pulled out of the driveway hurriedly - her heart was pounding harshly in her chest.

. . . .

Peridot's POV:

I grunted as I managed to seal another box shut with this cheap ass boxing tape. My hands were aching, and I exhaled, shutting my eyes tightly. You're almost done, Peridot. Just hang in there. You'll be out of this place in no time. I still hadn't been able to get new glasses, distracted with all the packing I'd been doing, and my contacts were going to expire soon. Just one inconvenience after another, huh, I thought, running my fingers through my hair. I probably could have hired a couple guys to do all this shit for me, but it just seemed a bit embarrassing. Besides, I didn't need a couple of strangers going through all of my belongings.

I jumped at the startling sound of a rapid knock at my door. What the hell? No one could possibly be wanting to visit me at this time. "I'm not interested! Go ask someone else!" I yelled, assuming it was a solicitor at this point. There was silence on the other end for a moment, and I waited and listened to see if they actually left. "I don't think anyone else would be interested in what I have to say right now." said a quieter...more recognizable voice.

I remained silent, and stood up straight, staring at the closed door before me. My heartbeat picked up dramatically, and my hands began to tremble. "Actually...now that I think about it...maybe not you either. B-but I just...I just want to talk to you. Please." she added in a glum tone of voice. It was Lapis. "Go away, Lapis. I'm busy." I simply stated, turning my back to the door. Stay strong, Peridot. Stay strong. "Peridot, please...I really need you to listen to me." she began to plead. I didn't respond this time, and went back to packing my things, despite my aching hands.

"No, Lapis." I repeated, clenching my fists. "I'm not leaving until you open the door, Peridot." the bluenette claimed, and I huffed. "Then I guess you're gonna freeze out there, aren't you?" I said, shoving a pair of jeans into an empty box. "Come on, Peridot, please. Please...I'm sorry. I really just want to talk to you face-to-face again. I can't stand the way things are right now." she explained. "Then maybe you shouldn't have made them that way." I replied quickly. I was startled again by a knock, and she began to just knock on the door. "Peeeeridot." she said in an annoying tone of voice, and continued knocking.

"Knock it off, Lazuli." I groaned. BANG. "Don't break my goddamn door!" I growled, storming towards the door. I jerked the door open, and glared daggers at the woman standing before me. "Cut it out." I hissed. "Hey, you opened." was all she said, tilting her head. "And I'm about to close it again. So make it quick." I said, contemplating on whether I should even give her a chance anyways. I might just shut the door right now. "I, um...I didn't mean to get you fired, Peridot. You know that right?" she asked, and I only arched an eyebrow in response. "I genuinely didn't, Peridot. I didn't like the fact that you worked so much, but never in a million years would I ever try to destroy that success. I guess I was a bit naive about the situation, though... you've worked so hard to get to where you are now." Lapis explained, fidgeting with her fingers.

"Well I'm not there anymore. And I don't think I ever could get there again." I said, staring down at the floor. I then began to close the door. "Peridot, please wait." she said, attempting to keep the door open. I pushed harder, trying to get the door fully shut so I could at least lock it - so she positively couldn't open it back up. Despite my best efforts, Lapis has always been much stronger than me, so my plan wasn't working - at all. She probably could shove the door completely open if she wanted to...but she didn't. She wasn't using her full strength, and I could tell. "Peridot!" Lapis begged. Tears began to well up in my eyes, and I absolutely could not allow her to see that.

A surge of adrenaline shot through my body, and I began to put my entire body into shoving that goddamn door closed. "Go away, Lapis!" I raised my voice, making sure it didn't crack. "No!" she shot back, pushing right back. I felt myself sliding back already, losing that adrenaline rush I had so quickly received. "Please leave! Get out of here!" I cried, and this time my voice did crack. "Peridot, please hear me out! Please! I want to explain myself! I want to-" "STOP! JUST GO!" "NO! I WANT TO MAKE IT UP TO YOU! Please just let me sincerely apologize! PLEASE!" Lapis pleaded harshly, pushing much harder this time.

I leaned my back against the door now, and used all of my strength to start shoving it back now. Tears were now rolling down my cheeks, and I could no longer speak without it being blatantly obvious that I was now crying. I shut my eyes tightly, and every time I heard Lapis's desperate voice, my heart continued to break a little. "Peridot..." her voice quieted, and her force died down. "Stop." I whispered, gritting my teeth. I was growing weaker, and my force began to die down as well. My whole body was trembling, and my breath kept hitching. It was then completely silent, and Lapis was barely putting any effort at all at this point. I slightly opened my eyes, wondering if she was even there...? The door is still being held. Why is she so quiet?

My heart nearly pounded out of my chest as I all of a sudden felt a violent shove from the other side of the door. The door finally swung open, sending me completely forward, and I was now panic-stricken. I curled up into a ball on the floor, burying my face deeply into my knees. I attempted to hide my face the best I could, because I was now on the verge of sobbing, and I could feel my face was incredibly flushed from the excessive crying.

"Peridot." I heard Lapis say again, and I curled up tighter. I was shaking, and I sniffled loudly. I could feel her footsteps nearing me.

"Go away."