Chapter 10

Here I was, with Lapis again at Steven Universe's house. I almost didn't come all the way over here, because seeing Lapis in general made me very reluctant. But I figured I owed her a visit since I had been so abruptly distant with her with no explanation. I came straight from a meeting, and as I felt the cold AC blast in the house, I pulled my blazer closer to myself. "Why is it so cold in here?" I said, slightly shivering. "Trust me, it gets hot in here when the AC isn't on." Lapis replied. 

"How hot?" I asked, believing this low temperature was completely unnecessary. "Hot." she emphasized, raising her eyebrows. I was looking at her for a little too long, so I turned away and changed the subject. "Where's Steven?" I asked, looking around to see the room empty. "Oh, he's with Connie tonight." she said, shrugging her shoulders. "Wow, he is always with that girl, huh." I commented, sitting down on the couch. "And Greg is at the car wash working, so we basically got the house to ourselves." she explained, walking into the kitchen. 

"Hm. Convenient." I muttered, looking down at the floor. "So why don't we have a few drinks since no one is here to tell us otherwise?" Lapis suggested, peeking over at me with a grin. "I tensed up, and bit the inside of my cheek harshly for a brief moment. "Oh no no I couldn't. I've stayed sober for an entire year now." I said quickly, shaking my head. Lapis walked into the living room and approached the couch, leaning the arm. "That is an impressive streak I must say. But one little drink won't hurt you, Peridot." she argued, tilting her head.

"Are you peer pressuring me into drinking?" I asked, arching an eyebrow. "Oh yes, I am. C'mon, Peridot, just one beer. I know you gotta get home by 9, but we can pass the bottle back and forth under the table. Maybe we can even sip half the entire bottle if we don't get caught by my mom." she jokingly explained in a mocking voice. I rolled my eyes and huffed at her teasing, pursing my lips to hide my smile. "Peridot, we're not 13. I'm not pEeR pResSuriNg you into anything. If you don't want to I'm not forcing you." she laughed, shaking her head. 

"I think I'll continue my streak, thank you very much." I said, inevitably chuckling. "Suit yourself." she stated, reaching her hand into a bucket. The bucket was seemingly filled with ice and the bottle was resting in it...upside down? "Why do you have champagne? This some birthday celebration?" I teased, walking up to the counter watching her. "Nah this is the only fancy alcohol in the house. It's from New Years." she explained, and I cringed. "That must be old." I said, scrunching up my nose. "Hush up, it's not old. It hasn't been opened. I don't have all the money in the world to go buy fancy champagne like this like no problem." she giggled, removing the cage off the cork.

"You could've asked, I could've bought you all the fancy alcohol you wanted." I replied, shrugging my shoulders. "You're too posh to even walk into a wine store." she shot back, rummaging through her drawers for something. "What're you looking for?" I asked, leaning forward a little. She then pulled out a knife, and waved it around to show me. I was taken aback, and furrowed my eyebrows. "You didn't invite me here just to kill me, did you?" I asked. "Yes, that's exactly why I invited you here. Nerd." she murmured the last part, picking up the wine bottle. 

"What do you need that for?" I asked, tilting my head in confusion. "Wanna see something cool?" she asked, holding the bottle from the bottom and tilting it slightly upwards in roughly a 40 degree angle. "I'm a bit scared." I muttered, taking two steps back. She looked determined, and raised her knife up to the champagne bottle slowly. She slowly slid it across the bottle slow at first, and this was immensely confusing me. What is she doing? She then pulled back all the way, and quickly swiped her knife across the bottle, slicing the tip of the bottle clean off. It made a weird pop noise and bubbles began to spill over rapidly. 

"What the hell was that?!" I asked, walking a lot closer to the counter now. "I opened the bottle." she simply stated, smiling at me. I stared at her in complete silence for a few moments. "You're fucking weird." I said finally. "Wanna come try?" she asked, holding out the knife. "I said I didn't want to drink." I reminded her. "You don't need to drink to open a damn bottle." she argued, setting the now open bottle down and briefly licking her finger.