Chapter 11

Lapis had already drank a lot of alcohol, but she seemed to be handling it well. I, on the other hand, still refused to break my sober streak. So, I simply talked to her for a lengthy period of time about different things as we sat across from each other on the couch. "Sooo are Garnet and Jasper, like, separated in the entire thing?" I asked, tilting my head in confusion. It turns out that Garnet does professional kickboxing just like Jasper, and they're both stellar fighters. "Nah, not always. I heard they actually had an intense match with each other a few months back. A lot of punches to the face and shit." Lapis explained, chuckling.

"Man, I wish I could've seen that. Who won?" I asked, trying to imagine what this match would look like. "It was a draw. But I think Jasper was losing." Lapis snickered. "Speaking of, I ran into him at the post office, actually. You said you didn't talk to him?" I asked, arching an eyebrow. The bluenette's face paled, and she quickly looked down into the almost empty bottle of champagne. "Nah, I don't anymore." she briefly said, clearing her throat. "Huh. Then how come he told me otherwise?" I asked, scooting a bit closer. Lapis side glanced me with wide eyes. "What're y-you talking about? Wh-what is he talking about? I-I don't associate with him anymore." she stammered terribly. She was a bad liar when intoxicated.

"So you're telling me that he was lying to me?" I asked, scooting even closer. My interrogative ways were a bit unnecessary I now realize, but I really wanted to know the actual story. I didn't like it when Lapis lied to me. "Yes." she replied, looking back over at me. She very very slightly flinched, most likely not realizing how close I was. "Are you sure? You can be honest with me, you know." I said, shrugging my shoulders, attempting to seem nonchalant about it. "C'mon, Peridot, just drop it." Lapis then looked directly into my eyes as she said that. It almost felt as though her pained stare dove right into my soul.

I smelled the alcohol on her breath, and I swallowed dryly. I remembered the somewhat pleasant smell of certain alcohol, and it definitely made drinking tempting. Lapis' cheeks were slightly flushed now, and she didn't look away from me. I couldn't bear smelling the alcoholic scent anymore, so before it could draw me any further, I scrunched up my nose and scooted back. I shook my head and closed my eyes tightly for a moment. "S-sorry. Just curious." I muttered. Lapis looked slightly hurt once again, because of how repulsed my reaction probably appeared.

"Why do you always do that?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows. "D-do what?" I asked, feeling my heart rate pick up. "You always seem so...revolted whenever you get too close to me. I don't have diseases." Lapis let out an empty laugh after saying that, and I cringed. "N-no I don't feel revolted by you, Lapis. Honest." I assured. "Then why do you..." she trailed off, taking another sip of the alcohol. I was afraid of her to continue, but she never did. "Nevermind." she huffed, closing her eyes. The scent still lingered in my nose, and I felt like groaning. This tempting feeling was also mixed with the slight pain Lapis put in my chest after lying to my face.

I know she was lying. What would Jasper's motive be to lie to me at the post office? Them just talking literally wouldn't affect anything at all, so why would Jasper lie about something like that? Why would Lapis lie about something like that? I was so confused, and I was having too many emotions at once. I didn't like this feeling at all. I didn't even like having too strong of one emotion, much less several. "I'm sorry." I apologized again, and I don't exactly know why I apologized that time. My chest felt heavy, and I could even feel a headache coming on. "N-no don't be. I didn't mean to be like that." she said, her words becoming a bit slower.

I stared down at the wine bottle, then back up at Lapis...then back down at the bottle. I realized at that moment I was going in pretty deep. Squaridot's words began to repeat again in my head, and I tried to silence them, but they wouldn't go away. I couldn't exactly turn back from my position now. For some reason, even though she lied to my face, I wanted to believe her. I felt like making myself believe her. Lapis wouldn't lie to you. She wouldn't lie to you, right? I began to tap my foot rapidly on the floor, before exhaling sharply. I was in pain. This is why I broke so many ties with so many people - to avoid these situations. To avoid these emotions. To avoid feeling hurt.

There was a temporary solution to this problem...but it would mean that I'd break my hard-working streak. Maybe I can make one exception, I thought. Give yourself a break, Peridot. Come on. It must be no fun just drinking alone with a sober person. Just look at her. I then looked back up at Lapis, and she stared at her bottle glumly. Her eyes were half-lidded, and now she looked more drowsy; the alcohol was hitting her more. "S-say uh, Lapis?" I murmured lowly. She hummed in response, slowly turning to look at me. "H-how 'bout you hand me that bottle?" I asked, hesitantly holding my hand out.

Her previous frown then slowly curved into a smirk, and she sat up a little more. "Attagirl." she said, handing me the bottle. I reluctantly took it, and the slightly heavy container sat in my shaking hand. It felt like it was staring at me, pressuring me to down the entire thing in one gulp. There wasn't too much left in it, right? It'll be fine. I might as well finish it off. I shakily held it up to my lips, and the toxic aroma entered my nostrils, and I nearly got goosebumps. I then took one sip, and the foul taste was hard to get used to again, but I managed.

I tilted the bottle a little higher, emptying more of it into my mouth. "Don't hurt yourself now, grandma." Lapis said, giggling. This the prompted me to begin drinking it faster. I tilted it higher, and I was now numb to the foul taste. I didn't care anymore, I missed the alcohol washing down my throat so rapidly. I didn't care. I ended up downing the entire bottle, and I exhaled sharply as I finally set it down. I wiped my dripping mouth, and closed my eyes tightly, trying to make it easier for my body to process all of it at once. "Peridot...uh, you good?" Lazuli asked with concern in her voice. I opened my eyes back up, and furrowed my eyebrows. I needed more. This wasn't gonna be enough to help me. "Do you have another bottle?"

A/N: AY I hope you guys are having a good spoopy season so far! :)

-Baggy