Broken Promises

When I became IronMan, I made two promises: Alice would never get involved, and I would always protect her. That's two promises I've failed to keep.

It's been nearly a week since Alice's disappearance. She never came home from her date, and SHIELD notified us the following day that Hydra had her prisoner.

SHIELD was the first to notify us while we all assumed that Alice was still on her date. After all, it wasn't even 9:00 when she was taken so none of us thought anything weird about her absence. At first I thought they were ambushed, so I struggled to believe it when they told me Oliver was a Hydra agent. After all, he's only 17.

SHIELD's been refusing to share with us any information they have on the situation. They explained to us that if we attempted anything, it would put her life at risk. So, they decided it would be best to not share any information with us, leaving us to try and track her ourselves.

The only comfort I have is knowing that James is there. But if it came down to it, would he blow his cover to save her?

After all, blowing his cover could cost him his life.

I can't remember the last time I slept, or even took a shower. I've still been eating to keep my strength up, but my meals have been small and irregular. I did try to sleep a few days ago, but I quickly gave up. I can't sleep knowing that my little girl is in danger.

The morning after we found out Alice had been taken, Peter showed up at the lab at 7:00am in his suit. He asked for any information I could give him. Once I gave it to him, he went out searching for the entire day and returned at around 9. So far, this is a pattern that he's stuck to every single day.

But even though I've spent every second trying to find a way to track her and with Peter searching for her, we've come up short.

For all I know, she could be half way across the world.

I continued my frantic search of trying to track her. I gave up on trying to track her phone or any technology she had on her as soon as I realized it was impossible, because they destroyed any technology she had on her. So, I resorted to trying to find a way to track unusual activity hoping that it would be able to track her abilities.

So far, nothing's worked.

"Mr. Stark?" I stopped what I was doing, and turned around in my chair to see Peter as he walked in slowly, holding on to the wall for support. I already knew what he was going to say from his disapointed expression. "I'm so sorry, I couldn't find anything."

I didn't expect to hear anything good, but it was still disappointing to hear.

"It's okay." I replied quietly. My eyes wandered, searching for anything else to look at. I didn't want to look at him in fear that he would think I was disapointed in him.

"Maybe I should keep searching through the night, we can't give up on her." Peter explained desperately. I looked down at his suit, and realized it was covered in dirt and sweat from searching all week.

"No don't worry about it, go home and get some sleep." I suggested, finally locking eyes with him. Still, he remained quiet, at a complete loss for words. "I'll keep searching for a way to track her."

Slowly, Peter nodded in agreement. Slowly, his eyes wandered till he was no longer watching me. The pain and desperation was clear in him, and it hurt to see him like this.

"Just get some rest. I promise you, we'll bring her home." I reassured him, though the promise was also to myself. His eyes wandered back to meet mine, but this time there was a glimpse of hope in them.

I wish I could feel hope anymore.

Hydra is hundreds of years old. It has roots so deep that it would be nearly impossible to weed them all out. Getting her out of there on our own even with SHIELD would be suicide.