Hero vs Drama

As the Christmas season came and went, so did my dreams of a future with Peter.

Every second with him is perfect. I've never had anyone else make me feel as happy and as safe as he does, and for a moment I truly believed we could make things work for us.

But sooner or later, we all have to wake up.

Hydra's still out there, and they've proven multiple times that they'll kill anyone who gets in their way. If I somehow survive this, maybe things can work out. But as of now, if we were to be in a relationship it wouldn't be beautiful and romantic.

It would be cruel.

Nearly 2 months ago, Nick Fury along with half of SHIELD came to my school. They took me back to the facility, and told me that my life is on a timer that's almost up. Even though it was 2 months ago, I haven't had the heart to tell anyone. Even Sarah has no idea that any day now could easily be my last.

My birthday was on the last day of Christmas break. Normally I would invite Sarah, but this year I just couldn't do it.

Pepper and my dad decided to throw me a birthday party this year. They completely decked out one of the lounges with hundreds of balloons on the ceiling, and streamers from every wall. They got a giant 3 layer cake, and put a stack of board games on the coffee table. I knew they were planning on doing this, so I specifically requested beforehand that they didn't invite friends from school. I didn't know how it would go, and I would hate it if my friends found out we were celebrating what could potentially be my last birthday.

My dad respected my request, and only invited a small number of people that he knew I would be okay with. At the party was my dad, Pepper, Bruce, Clint, and even Thor.

Everything seemed to be going great, but what they didn't realize is that I knew they were watching me when they thought I couldn't see. Their expressions were full of despair, as if they were watching a loved one who had already died. No one actually mentioned Hydra, but it was in the back of all of our minds.

I received multiple presents from my birthday. I got a few new shirts from Pepper, a new laptop from my dad, and a few other things from those who came. But even though those were all great, my favorite gift was a card and a bracelet I received from Cap and Natasha.

Neither of them had any idea about Hydra, otherwise I know they would have been here despite the risks. Reading the card made me break down crying, and I've yet to take off the simple gold chain bracelet with a few dangling gold stars.

School's been back in session for about a week now, and I've avoided Sarah at all costs.

I know I should be spending as much time as I can with her, but I'm sure Peter's told her about us by now and I'm not ready to face her. I crushed her OTP, and now if she gets the chance she'll probably kill me.

After 2nd period, I took my new outside route to get to my 3rd period class. Normally I would just walk through the halls like a normal person, but it's hard to avoid someone when you pass them in the halls every day.

"Alice!" Someone yelled from behind me. When I recognized it to be Sarah's voice, I acted like I didn't hear her and sped up. I almost reached the school before a hand grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to stop and finally face my fears.

Sarah stood in front of me, confusion and frustration written across her face. She carefully examined my face, looking for any sort of silent explanation. She didn't remove her hand from my shoulder right away, and I don't blame her for being cautious at this point.

"Alice, what's going on?" Sarah pleaded, continuing to examine my expression for any slight change. "You broke things off with Peter, and you've been acting really weird. Please talk to me."