A Sticky Situation

As a kid, I always looked up to my dad.

Even before he became Iron Man, he was my hero.

I often times receive sympathy for having to grow up without a mother but the reality is, I don't know any different.

I never knew my mother, and I've only ever really had my dad.

In fact, I've never met any of my family apart from my dad. His parents died when he was young, and he doesn't have any siblings. I mean supposedly I have other family on my mom's side, though I've never met them before. My dad managed to raise me all on his own with only the support and occasional help of a few close friends, and that's amazing to me.

When he became Iron man, my world changed. Suddenly he wasn't just a hero to me, he was a hero to the world.

I was only 5 years old when he was kidnapped by a group of terrorists. Since I was only a child, no one told me what actually happened. Pepper took care of me in the months that he was gone, and I simply believed that he was just on a really long business trip. I had no idea at the time how close I came to loosing him entirely.

Pepper was always the closest thing I had to a motherly figure. She helped out a ton, though for some reason I just never saw her as my mother. And when I realized how hard she worked for me, it made me feel guilty that I didn't.

Even though I never knew my mother, I often times imagine what my life would be like if I'd grown up with her.

The only thing I have tying me to her, is a worn picture my dad gave me when I was younger. The picture was of my mother and I when I was a baby. She was really quite beautiful, and seemed to be the kindest and most caring mother.

It hurts to know that I'll never get to find out if she was.

When my dad was safely returned home, he immediately started working on a suit based off an idea that saved his life. However, I didn't know about any of it until he announced to the rest of the world including me that he was Iron Man. After that, I would watch him work all the time. It's incredible to me to see the things my dad is capable of.

I watched him work all the time till I was 8, and things went terribly wrong.

The thrusters on one of this boots broke, so the boot unexpectedly shot out, hitting my leg. It fractured the bone in 4 different places, put me in a boot for 6 weeks and got be banned from being in the lab while my dad was working for quite a while.

But despite my injury, I still loved to watch him work and found that I could watch him from outside the glass entrance at the bottom of the stairs to his lab without being noticed. But I later found out, he knew all along and even one day found me fast asleep at the bottom of the stairs as he finished up at around 2 in the morning.

I suppose my lack of ability to follow rules hasn't changed much.

It was nearly 1 in the morning, and instead of being in bed getting the sleep I need for school I was sitting on the roof of a building in one of the busiest parts of New York. I know it means I wont be rested for school, but my desire to stay out later to watch the lights won out.

When Sarah and I designed my suit, it was designed to also hide my identity since we figured the public might not react well to finding out that Tony Stark's daughter is a telekinetic. Usually I'm careful about that, but tonight as I'm sitting on the roof I have my mask and hood down so I can feel the cool breeze on my face.

The nights were progressively getting colder as the seasons shifted from summer to fall. The breeze felt nice, though my face also felt frozen. Thanks to my suit however, the rest of me managed to stay warm.