Chapter 15

As one furious kick landed in my side, all the air in my lungs rushed out and I struggled to breathe. My ribs screamed in agony at the assault and I couldn’t do anything about it. Like I was going to say ‘please stop’ like a pathetic little girl.

Coincidentally, another kick attacked my thigh and the sickening thud noise my leg made when it came into contact with his foot was enough to make me feel queasy. Blood seeped out of several wounds, collecting in a thick puddle beneath me. It was everywhere, in my hair, on my body, on my clothes. You would think he was murdering me. This continued for about ten minutes, him beating the living crap out of me whilst the other merely watched, enjoying my grunts of pain that refused to turn into screams of self-pity.

You disgust me” the doctor growled from where I lay chained up to the wall. My arms were tied harshly behind my back and my muscles ached at the awkward positioning. I didn’t respond to his verbal assault, my mind and body still trying to recover from the battering that he had forced Joey to inflict upon me. I made it my mission to ignore him, spitting out some blood next to the pile that was spreading. That thick, iron-like smell of blood filled the room and its muskiness threatened to suffocate me. Nonetheless, I held it back.

Everything was just numb. Nothing seemed to diminish the pain, my legs bruising easily. The mixture of blue and black mottled on my arms and legs told me that I am definitely going to have trouble getting up tomorrow morning. Ironically they left my face alone, knowing that questions would be asked.

“That was reprehensible behaviour!” he continued to yell, spit flying from his mouth in various directions as he did so. I looked up, watching his face contort in anger, his blonde hair dishevelled. In that moment, only one thing ran through my mind.

Why the hell did he choose to wear a bulletproof vest today of all days?

That was the only thing that saved him, that kept him alive and somewhat well. If he wasn’t wearing it, it would be safe to say that I would be planning a funeral right now.

“Reprehensible behaviour” I clipped out blankly after what seemed like forever. My eyes bored into his, the light of my anger being ignited almost instantly. Leaning against the wall, I struggled to pull myself up without the use of my arms, wiggling up the wall effectively. My legs still hurt and I bit my lip in an attempt to stop the moans from escaping. They won’t see me cry over something as small as a battering. It was interesting watching them watching me thrash about against the wall, none of them moving towards me to assist me at all. Finally I stood, deciding against trying to walk as I knew the chains behind me would just pull me out.

“Do you wanna know what I think is reprehensible?” I hissed angrily, focusing all my anger on him as he smirked knowingly. “The fact that you lived!” I screamed in fury, finding it hard to physically keep myself from leaping towards him. Joey suddenly appeared at my side, pushing me back against the wall. I glared at him before shrinking back from his expression.

“Don’t say that” he whispered, his blue eyes avoiding my glare. With immense strength I yanked my body away from his hold.

“And why shouldn’t I?!” I shrieked, stealing one more look at the despicable creature we were debating about. A moment of hesitation hit him before he pushed himself off the wall and ran a hand through his blonde hair. He suddenly whipped around and looked at me pleadingly.

“Sheesh, he’s my brother Meg’s!”

It was like time had stopped and I just remained mute and statuesque. Joey looked at me with such a sad look in his eye and I wanted to just hug him. I felt sorry for him for the same reason I felt sorry for him when we first met all those weeks ago and that scar on his cheek had somehow managed to bring across a pain that was alien to me.