Chapter 14

Staring at the dimming phone screen, my eyes kept scanning over those same words and pictures, seeing the hidden meaning over and over again. A single tear travelled down my cheek and I looked on mindlessly as the tear hurries down my face, suddenly making a free fall for the screen. It seemed like that one little rebel and started a whole rebellion and the tears began to fall relentlessly, no matter how quickly I tried to wipe them away. After a while, there was no point in trying to stop them. There were two messages.

Two heart breaking messages, although one was worse than the other. In a pathetic attempt to make myself feel less miserable, I flipped over to the previous message, my fingers trembling in fear.

Hey baby, sorry we couldn’t tell you sooner but it turns out we double-booked. We’ll be out of town for quite a while. Love you, mom x

Laughing bitterly, I managed to suppress the urge to chuck this stupid thing as far away from me as possible. The phone now seemed to hold this sense of betrayal that I knew had nothing to do with the phone itself but I couldn’t help the resentment.  A short flash of anger threatened to set me off before I jumped off my bed, bounding towards one of the paint splashed walls as morning light continued to invade my room.

“Nice to know my love is worth one kiss” I remarked sarcastically as I unconsciously moved on to the next text that absolutely broke my heart. My anger flared up again at the sheer heartlessness of the sender. Knowing that I was hurting so much already and they do this.

My eyes burned with shed tears as they roamed over the picture of my parents on a fun vacation in Bora Bora with ‘Hannah’. They smiled so care freely into the lenses, my mum’s warm brown eyes and my dad’s bright sapphire green exuding nothing but sheer joy. I stared at my own reflection alongside them both, sporting a bright magenta bikini that I would never wear in a million years. Her ginger hair looked more on the red side now and I’m guessing she told them she wanted it red. Why would they question it? I’ve been begging for years to get it red after seeing Ariana Grande sporting the look a while back. I guess this time, they gave in.

Too bad they gave in to the wrong person.

Her obviously natural green eyes held a certain air of contentment that broke me. This imposter is taking over my life and happily enjoying it! What is it that they’re making her do to my parents? Ruin them? Make them bankrupt? We have nothing to hide! There are no secret pink diamonds that cost a fortune. Neither is there any covert operations happening behind the scenes. We’re just a regular, although rich, family that doesn’t deserve to have this happen to them, no matter whether or not they don’t know what’s happening.

Wincing, I held my chest at the sudden searing sensation that threatened to make me collapse. A gasp made a daring escape from me and something inside me clicked. Unsure of what it was I tried to stop my hands from trembling. Sliding down the wall I struggled to get my breath back, the temperature of the room suddenly rising in humidity. I couldn’t breathe. Fear constricted me. Lack of oxygen constricted me. That picture constricted me from ever returning back to my normal life. My face was wet with tears I didn’t remember crying and my body visibly shook in my panic attack. With agonising finality, I came to a conclusion that I didn’t think would ever cease to exist.

They don’t love me anymore.

They love her.

I think, that this is one of the only times in my life where I feel absolutely heartbroken. I didn’t even know how to feel. Tears just fell and fell and I simply couldn’t tear my eyes away from the picture that seemed to hold such good times for them and nothing but emptiness and sadness for me.

After what seemed like forever, I found the willpower to look away and I threw the phone across the room, watching as it hit the wall and smashed into pieces. A loud bang and crash that came from it didn’t stun me, instead making me feel a whole lot better. It was like music to my ears. If only I could associate it with that fake.