Chapter 5

When I woke up for the third time, I was in a small box room. Quite literally a box. There was enough room for a bed, a little sink and a chest of drawers and that was it. The legendary colour white was back again and the door looked like a prison door.

A small little slot was open and the window above it was a frosted glass. I sat there for a minute, observing the small intricate patterns in the glass, the swirls, the dips, all of it.

Blankly, I stood up and trudged along the floor to the door and reached for the glass slowly. I touched it and the coldness inside it jumped across to me through my body. I shook and mindlessly walked back to the bed and leaned down towards the chest of drawers.

I know I’m here for some reason.

Something happened before this moment in time, before I woke up but I just cannot remember.

Why can’t I remember?

From the corner of my eye, a little slip of paper tucked underneath the drawers caught my eye and I slid it out from its hiding. It was yellow with age and had recently become quite acquainted with dust and spiders. I cringed inwardly. Spiders. Brushing the dust debris off, I looked at the folded slip of paper, with its curled ends trapping some of the spiders. I unfolded it and read the scrawled words inked onto the paper in an obvious rush.

                 ‘To whoever reads this note, do not struggle. To be here anyway is a danger sign. Do what they say and when they are finished with you, run. Once you have fulfilled your purpose, you will be disposed of. It’s a family thing and hopefully, this note will not be read in many more years to come. But if not, do what they say, finish the job and run for your life. Change your identity. It isn’t like you’re not used to it. Get your hands in the watch of gold, it will aid you in-‘

And that was it. But now I remember.

Someone stole my identity and they want me to do something for them. Yes. That’s it! It’s all flooding back now, like a dam after a month’s rainfall. A knock on the door caused me to jump and I shoved the note in my shoes. I turned around and a familiar pair of ice blue eyes stared at me through the tiny slot. I stood up slowly and brushed myself off. A wash of hatred overwhelmed me for a second before remembering what the note said.

Do what they say Hannah and stop being so stubborn. I have no idea who wrote the note but they must have been in the same position in order to write it.

“What do you want blue eyes?” I clipped dryly before glaring hard at the slot that separated him from me. My intial anger subsided before I felt my cheeks flare up in a red rage. I just aknowledged his blue eyes. His beautiful but incredibly untrustworthy blue eyes.

A light flickered above me and I heard a camera zoom into life from the front of the room near the door. I breathed deeply, hoping desperately that it was the first time it had come to life in the last ten minutes. He opened the door and strode into the room. Half expecting to see assistants file in behind him, I craned my neck around, only for him to shut the door.

“We’ve been watching you Megan.”

“Hannah” I growled again through stiff lips. He dismissed it quickly before grabbing my shoulders.

“I’m gonna have to search you” he said, his blue eyes glinting slightly against stark white of the room. From the corner of my eye, a red light flashed momentarily before stopping. I gulped. His eyes widened for a moment before returning back to its normal state.

In that moment, I caught on. He is, in his own twisted way, trying to help me. The widening of the eyes...That was a message.

I sighed and took on the normal stance one must take when being searched. If I didn’t comply, who knows what they’ll do to me? Awkwardly, he patted me down and feeling nothing than the usual, he stepped away from me like I was the plague.

“What now?” I asked defiantly, crossing my arms.

“Now” he said, taking a few steps towards me, “you train.”

I scoffed before laughing lightly. I'm Hannah Moriati, I don't train. “Who are you anyway?”

His striking blue eyes glinted one last time before he answered me.

“I’m Joey Cash I hope you know your blood type because you'll be needing some when I'm finished with you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------