Chapter 13

That is what landed me in Freezy Queen on a Saturday night, waiting for Justin. People milled around, minding their own business or laughing at silly jokes. It seemed like I was on the outside looking in, sitting alone in the ice-cream parlour, going through a cocktail of emotions that made me question myself. First of all, I do not belong here. I never have. Come on. Even if Megan’s friends do manage to invite me in and be as nice as they would be, I’m still an outsider.

It’s all I’ll ever be.

My thoughts trailed back to Justin worriedly. What if he manages to notice the tiny little changes in the Megan he used to know? No-one’s noticed it so far but only time will tell.

“You must be crazy” I say to myself as one particularly happy couple passed me, laughing together as if they didn’t have a care in the world. Watching them walk by so care-free made me slightly envious. At the end of the day, I have no idea how long I’m going to be roped into this. I’m just living a lie, upon lie, upon lie. That couple will never have to do this. If they choose to lie away and loose the ones they love out of their own free will, it’s safe to say that I will render them unconscious. Why on earth would you willingly choose a life of deceit?

Just as I was about to go into another full-blown self debate, someone cleared their throat from behind me. Taking a minute to compose myself, I put on a smile that I just hope would convince Justin that I was ecstatic to see him. Truthfully, I was looking forward to just going to sleep and forgetting about this day. Tomorrow is another day after all. Playing with a random pink straw that I had taken from some sort of dispenser thingy, I started to bend it into ridiculous shapes.

“I’m Super Bendy” I cackled in a silly voice, chuckling to myself like a crazed maniac as I bent it even more.

"Oh hello gorgeous” a smug voice exclaimed and I frowned almost instantly, dropping the straw on the table. I recognised that voice from anywhere.

“What do you want Joey?” I asked rudely, annoyed that I wasted a perfectly good and convincing smile in him. Also because he had caught me when I was in silly child mode.

Shoving the straw in my pocket I seethed inwardly. Now I have to find the energy to do it all over again. Joey chuckled before pulling a chair out and sitting on it abruptly. Looking around, I kept trying to look for a reason to get rid of him. Justin should be here soon- what will he say when he sees this big hunk of blue eyes and steel sitting across from me? I turned my attention back to him as he started to fish around in his pocket.

“I just wanted to give you this” he said as he grabbed my hand and dropped something on it. I tried to ignore the slight increase in my heartbeat as his hot skin came into contact with my own cold one as he closed my hand into a fist. Stop it, I scolded to myself. It’s completely normal. Keeping my eyes on his, I tried to move the minuscule object in my hand.

“What’s this?” I asked gingerly, frowning as the object stabbed me in the palm.

“Tracker Pin.”

I stared at him blankly. “And this is of significance to me because…”

“Because, after your date, you will inject this little pin into the back of his neck so that we can record any conversations he has with his father or even better, a tour of the Diamond store so that we can collect evidence.”

I blinked, completely fazed by the idea. A Tracker Pin? Opening my closed fist, I looked at the paper thin, short little pin. Peering at it closely, I see the tiny gleaming little camera screen. It was literally tiny, barely noticeable on the human skin.

“How long does it have to be in for?” I asked, my eyes never leaving the tracker pin.

“3 days maximum, or else it will decompose and release the toxins into his skin.”