Chapter 11

I can honestly say that walking into that place was one of the scariest things I’ve done. It was just straight to be honest and nothing else- just a long, straight, geometrical hallway that seemed to stretch on forever. The hallway loomed down ahead; the bright strobe lights above us making everything else look stark and abnormal. The smell of metal filled the air and the hallway seemed to go on forever as I strode forward as strongly as I could without showing my actual fear inside.

A wave of claustrophobia hit me as my breathing instantly quickened. Please, I thought to on-one in particular. Please let there be some open space. My prayers however remained unanswered as the hallway seemed to stretch on for eternity. In an instant, Joey grabbed one of my hands and gave me a smile when I gazed at him questioningly. Why is he being so nice? Either way, I wasn’t going to let go. I feel sick, I need all the support I can get.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn’t even realise that we had stopped at literally a dead end and the doctor was tapping a code into the hand pass code thingy. I’m not entirely sure what it is yet or what its proper name was either. Sensing a movement behind me, the realisation hit me that Joey was no longer holding my hand. I frowned and clenched my fist, trying to hold on to the only warmth that comforted me out of the 2 possible options. A whirring noise sounded nearby and to my horror, the steel wall that I thought represented the dead end opened and a whole different world illuminated inside.

Unknowingly I walked inside and gazed in awe at the vast number of high-tech equipment that had claimed its place in there. Guns, lasers, cards, pens, there was everything! Amazed I pick up what seemed to be a gun and imagined aiming it at the doctor. The thought was incredibly tempting but I decided to aim it at one of the targets situated in the far corner of the room. Memories of my target practise with Joey came to mind and it hit it squarely in the centre.

“You really should not do that” Joey piped up behind me. I laughed, not bothering to turn around.

“And why shouldn’t…” my voice trailed off as I saw the wooden target vaporise before my eyes. The arrow imbedded in it dropped from the growing slush that it had caused the wood to turn into and finally, it remained on the floor in a pile.

“Exactly” the doctor’s voice whispered beside my ear and I shivered. He really does give me the creeps, I think as I rub my ear clean.

“Get into the room” he demanded as I raised an eyebrow at him. Excuse me? You don’t demand for me to do anything, I’m doing a whole bunch of stuff for you as it is!

“Get. Into. The. Room.”

“No” I said defiantly, picking up another gun-like weapon. Adrian nodded his head once and before I knew it, Joey had me by the waist, carrying me to the white room that I had completely ignored earlier when I first walked into the room.

"Get off me you turd!” I shrieked before letting out a blood-curling scream. Due to my efforts, the gun I was holding dropped from my fingers. I kicked and slapped and I know that I hit quite a lot of skin. His groans of pain confirmed that. But he persevered and finally flung me into the white room like I was a rag doll.

I hit one padded wall with such a force that the protection wasn’t even worth it. Groaning, my eyes flickered over to the arm that now started to bruise. Before I could even utter a word, the door zoomed shut and looking behind it I felt my last shred of hope burst into smithereens. There were no windows, no glass, nothing to let me see anything outside of the white room.

“Megan” a voice boomed over the sound systems. My hands went to cover my ears defensively and I glared at nothing in particular. The hatred I feel right now for those two defies humanity.