|2| This is Exactly Why I Don't Drink: Part III

PART III:

That hurt

Why did that hurt?

The words 'a stone' took the shape of one and hit me in the gut and now it hurts. It hurts because people who know or figure out the truth about you can curse and abuse you accordingly unlike the people who don't know you or never will, because they just use overused cliche curses.

 Because it never hurts if it is not true. Only the truth could hurt this much.

She pauses and starts to cough, I am still, in complete shock, and Rahul's warning not listen to her isn't proving very helpful. I am listening and I am showing signs of damage. And for a drunk-to-the-point-that-when-she-yells-the-air-between-us-gets-saturated-with-the-scent-of-booze Maria that is a very well planned speech.

It hit all the notes right and now I can't seal my pathetic high school life with a party or an after party or just by being happy, now I have to seal it with the memory of being bothered and broken till the very end.

But that is how it has been for a while and I have grown used to it, after all everything I do and am is just the after affect of redundancy.

"Can you just tell me what the hell happened?" I yell back, screw keeping quite what has gotten in to her.

But she chooses to pass out before she can answer, what am I thinking no one chooses to pass out. Rahul who (very wisely) didn't leave for the car, catches her before she falls to the ground, she looks disgusting and talks disgusting, this can't be Maria.

Rahul pulls her up and starts to shake her by the shoulders, she doesn't respond. And then I hear the bedroom door open and mom calls my name, perfect timing I think to myself, come on mom, help me decide if this is 'Trick' or 'Treat'? I am pretty sure this is trick, so you came around the absolute right time, this is probably the climax of the nonsense. I hope.

She spots me in the doorway and when she sees the drunk, reckless and passed out Maria at the door, she looks as confused as I am plus the WIWWU. I reach out to help Rahul pick her up. When we get holst her steady, we enter the apartment, I get a glass of water and Rahul lays her down on the sofa. I want to pour down all the water on her and while I'm at it drop the glass too, but I refrain from doing this. Instead I sprinkle some water on her eyes as mom tries to wake her up by shaking her shoulders. God! what is with all the shaking of shoulders.

I don't like the fact that I have to help her, since she came all the way here to insult me. But given the situation I don't want to make a scene in front of mom. What I would love to do is get moms' mouthwash and make her gargle a little before she decides to erupt again, I have made it a point never to drink (ever), and so I don't want mom thinking that one of my only friends (I am not sure at the moment) is some drunk psycho bitch. Which now that I think of it is exactly the impression that mom might have right now. Well too late to change that.

She wakes up soon after everybody's effort and sits up. She looks around, at mom and then at me, and the anger comes flushing back to her face. Mom has not asked any questions, and I want to give her the same warning that Rahul gave me, not that it proved useful any way.

Maria you had better not open your mouth in front of my mom. It will scare the heck out of her and plus your breath stinks. In the end she doesn't, she gets up and leaves just like that, without another word. Mom is so confused she doesn't know what to do or say anymore. Rahul rushes and covers efficiently; thank god one of them is sober.

"Thank you so much, we are sorry for this rudeness." he says as he rushes out of the living room.

Mom is stunned, and looks at me like she thinks I know what is going on. But I am about to find out, I will get the answers to my questions. I leave mom in the living room and head out the door, Rahul has only reached the first set of stairs when I catch up to him, and thrust my question in his face.