Chapter 14

Author's notes: Hello there!
I'm sorry that this has taken so long, believe me when I say that everyday I think about writing this but every time I sit down to write I simply can't get any ideas out.
That's when I get new ides for new fics and it's hard to not write those and then my current ones remain unfinished and it gets quite stressful.
I'm trying my best to write so you guys can read, but please forgive me if it isn't my best work.
But, regardless I hope you still enjoy this chapter! (:
(Please don't die from feels)

Things change (Haymitch and Effie)

Chapter fourteen.

I was emotionally wrecked. My entire world had crumbled around me. I didn't have a lot to beginning with, but Effie was the light in my darkness, she gave me happiness, a reason to keep going. But coming into my life had punished her. Hurt her more than what we thought possible.

She had been tortured physically by the capitol, but from that her mental scars began to heal. But now they were back. Effie was now a vacant being. Almost lifeless. She wasn't the same.

I sat beside her. Just watching her chest rise and fall. Her eyes were closed, but I new she was awake. It was just easier for her to shut everything out. Shut out your vision so you cant see the hurt around you. And then everyone else, the inflictors of the pain will leave you alone. It's like an escape that locks you away.

I took hold of her hand.

"Effie. It's me. I know that you're awake and I know tat you can hear me, but I don't need you to open your eyes, I just need to listen to me. What happened yesterday was in no way your fault. Okay? It was the doing of another, and it was...incredibly tragic that you had to be the victim once again. You didn't deserve to lose something so precious. Not again. And I want you to know Effie, that despite all of my weaknesses I will be right by your side, throughout any kind of shit that this world throws at you; after all, you are the one who gave me strength in the first place. You gave me light in my life again, new eyes to see that a person can truly be happy in this world. Light is always brighter when there is darkness, and I feel that I need to return the favour. Effie, I'm hurting too, but remember that you are still strong, I am in no way stronger in the scenario. Just remember that if we stand together we can break through all of the hurt; and maybe live a normal life. Because I love you, Effie. I really do love you."

I was crying. Effie gave my hand a tiny squeezed, just to let me know that she was listening. Then she opened her eyes. Although she was looking in my direction she was not exactly looking at me, it was like her eyes were staring right through me, like I wasn't even there.

She seemed so vacant, so different. She wasn't her chirpy Capitol self. She wasn't even her chirpy normal self. The core of the situation was that she wasn't even herself.

There is always a limit to what people can take, how much torture they can endure before they finally break and crumble to dust. I feared that Effie had been forced to cross that line. All the excitement of starting a family, all the happiness and anticipation had been snatched from her; and she was now left to pick up the pieces of her life that would just slip through her fingers.

Broken. We both were. I had no idea what to say to her, asking her how she was feeling would just seem insensitive, but it would be the same if she asked me. After all, we both lost out child. Then she muttered,

"Thank you, Haymitch." I took both her hands in my and looked at her - holding in my tears.

"We can get through this, Sweetheart. I can promise you that. I know that promises probably aren't the best thing for either of us to make. But I can ensure you think I'll keep this one."