Chapter 9

Dedicated to my Instagram friend "FranziEffieMellarkAbernathy"

Things change (Haymitch and Effie)

Chapter Nine

Peeta kept to himself - nerves rippling through his limbs. He sat in one of the arm chairs - hunched over and hiding his face with his hands. He'd always had a good relationship with Effie. He, like many others, may not have been enthusiastic with her - or anyone else's - Capitol ways, but he couldn't deny that he cared for her.

She'd been a tremendous support throughout both of his and Katniss' games, the thought of loosing her was liking loosing a life long friend, or even a family member, because over the past couple of years that's what they had become, A family.

Effie was at the their hearts, encouraging them through the worst of times, helping them to strive for goals that in the beginning seemed totally unreachable. That amazing woman made anything possible. They all loved her for it.

"Come on, Effie, you can pull through this." He whispered to himself. Peeta rubbed his sweaty palms together and exhaled loudly. Each breath ending with a shiver or a whimper. Katniss rushed out from the door and threw herself at Peeta - wrapping him in a tight embrace, which took him slightly by surprise.

"Katniss?"

"She's awake! She's awake, Peeta, she's going to be okay!" Peeta hugged her tighter and they both smiled enthusiastically into each others shoulders.

"That's fantastic!" He smiled as he kissed her forehead and lightly ran his hand down the small bump that was her stomach and she smiled lovingly at him.

"She should be recovering soon, she'll be week for the next couple of days but she'll live."

"Well done, Katniss." He said warmly, his deep eyes sinking into hers. "What about, Haymitch?" He questioned seriously.

"We'd better get him-" She suggested, "-You know what he's like when he's….not in a 'happy' mood." Peeta nodded at her.

"Do you want me to stay here and keep and eye on, Effie?"

"Okay. I'll be as quick as I can." Katniss left him in the house, she rushed as fast as her pregnancy would allow her. She reached Haymitch's house a little slower than usual and discovered the door was locked. She began to bang on the wood violently.

"Haymitch? Haymitch?!" There was still no answer. "Errugh!" She groaned. She continued to bang.

*!*

Much like I did before Effie came into my life, I awoke with a cry of terror, I was trembling feverishly and my skin and clothes were drenched in fresh sweat - making them sticky. I curled up into a protective ball, keeping myself away from the pain of the world, the pain I didn't want to face, the pain I knew I couldn't bare. Effie couldn't be taken away from me, she just couldn't!

Not only did I love her, but, in many ways I needed her. We needed each other. We kept each other sane, we cured each others fears, healed each other, loved each other. Our relationship was born from pain but gifted us nothing but happiness.

Why the fuck we're there Tracker Jackers in the woods?! It doesn't even make any sense! And why Effie? She has suffered enough! Tortured and betrayed by her own people, living a life where neither daylight nor night is safe, where she is always haunted, and one of the few happy moments she experiences could be the death of her.

It wasn't fucking fair! I curled up tighter and from my mind I screamed at the world even more, screamed and scolded it for the pain it had caused her.