Chapter 11

Things Change (Haymitch and Effie)

Chapter eleven

It was beautiful when I woke up the following morning, glittering rays of sunlight battled their way through the slim gap that existed between the bedroom curtains. The light swirled in the morning breeze - creating golden patterns across that walls and the excess light warmed our semi-clothed bodies. It was the kind of light you only experience on special occasions, the ones that hold fond memories. The kind of light that makes you feel amazing, no matter what the circumstances are.

Well, not in my case anyway…as beautiful as the morning was, I woke up feeling groggy and sick - my head throbbing slightly. I didn't know that morning sickness would kick in this quickly. I sat up and gazed over at the clock - 7am. I took in deep and frquent deep breaths and savoured the cool air, for some unknown reason it made be feel less ill. Probably sycological.

I continued to breath in this way. I could feel the contense of my stomach moving around, like it was slowling making it's way up through my body, up my throat and towards my mouth. It was a horrid sensation. I smoothed my loose hair behind me ears - touching lightly to avoid increasing my head ache. I swung my legs over the side of the bed and took a few more deep breaths before finally standing.

I walked softly, feeling the cold wood underneath my feet. I made it to the bathroom just in time, I hunched over the bowl of the toilet and vomited - keeping my hair held behind me with a spare hand.

I flushed the toilet when I was done and rinsed out my mouth with a cup of water - which only spread the sickening taste in my mouth and across my teeth. I cringed as I stared at myself in the bathrrom mirror. My hair was matted and full of knots, I had grey bags underneath by eyes and I was as pale as a ghost. My head was hurting less now, there had been a sharp pain when I threw up, but now the ache was beginning to reduce.

I fiddeled gently through the bathrrom cabinet, studying the lables on the variety of pills and liquids. I took hold of some tablets that would apparently help with my sickness, I filled a glass full of water and washed the tablets down my throat - letting out a little cough as they travled down my throat roughly.

I felt two smooth hands travel up from my hips. It was Haymitch. He rested his hands ever so lightly over my stomach - hugging me from behind. He moved his head to the side of mine and placed a soft and comforting kiss upon my cheek.

"Hey, Sweetheart." He greeted soflty.

"Hey." I breathed back as my reply.

"You feeling okay?" He questioned, his voice full of concerne and he looked at me through the bathroom mirror as he still embraced me from behind.

"Just the morning sickness." I explained simply. He smoothed his hands in small circles over my stomach.

"Anything I can can do for you, Sweetheart?"

I shook my head, "No…I'm just feeling really groggy." I sighed. I looked back at him through the mirror and I could see the concern growing in his eyes, almost like he was feeling guilty. I really didn't want him to feel bad. "But it's fine." I reassured quickly.

"But, Sweetheart, look at you, you're so pale…come on, I think you should have a lie down."

"I'm fine, Haymitch, honestly -" I protested lightly, "-It's a normal part of being pregnant." His lips seemed to curl up slightly into a smile at the mention of the word 'Pregnant'. It had only been a day since he found out, and the news was still very much a surprise to him, but every time I caught a glimpse of him when he was off guard, he was smiling, and each time we talked about it or when he trailed his fingers over my stomach I could see his eyes shine and glittered like stars.