Chapter 4

Things change (Haymitch and Effie)

Chapter four.

I stirred awake feeling weaker than ever. I was never keen on sleeping when it was dark, but lately I've wanted to feel more human. Last night I had given into the fright and terror that radiated away from my nightmares.

It was the early hours of the morning and every time I thought about sleep the sensation of fear followed. I kissed Effie's cheek before unhurriedly slipping from underneath of the bed covers. I cautiously made my way to the bathroom and commanded the hot water to fall gracefully from the shower head.

I stepped into the path of the water and allowed the comforting warmth to soak my face and trickle down my body. But even the most soothing temperature could not completely block out the haunting nightmare images.

I continuously viewed images of my games, tributes falling and black and white images of Effie dying either slowly in district thirteen or replacing the tribute I killed with the force field. A shiver than through which soon transferred to my entire body tensing up. My eyes squeezed shut and I gritted my teeth.

"Just go!" I grunted. "Go!" I let out some heavy breaths, I had been tortured by nightmare before, but never before had they effected me in this way. I craved for the taste of alcohol and the tension and stress ran through my body and tortured every limb. I smoothed my hands over my face and rubbed my eyes.

An extra touch startled me briefly but after spinning around the radiant face of Effie calmed me immediately. No words were spoken. No words were needed.

I kissed her softly and we twirled around in the shower. I ran my hands up and down the sides of her delicate body and she broke the kiss to snuggle into my body as we allowed the water to pour over us. I knew that she contained the knowledge of the cause of my nightmares.

"You'll never hurt me, Haymitch." She whispered.

Effie's belongings were delivered later that day. And hopefully, we prevented any rumours from spreading. She had single-handedly made the decision to visit Katniss and Peeta and inform them of the events that had taken places over the past few days.

I drank while she was away, not a lot, one, maybe two, but I still disappointed myself by giving into the pain of drinking. I wanted to stop, but it was the visions of the games mixed with Effie. I began to think ore about Effie, she had been face with such an traumatic experience, she had gone from loving the Capitol to being whipped.

Those scars were deep. They would never fade, a permanent reminder of the ones who betrayed her. And now, out of all people, she had me for comfort, friendship, protection….why me? Could I give her all of that? I doubt it, I was still suffering from nightmares that were introduced to me some twenty-six or twenty-seven years ago.

And if she was suffering from that experience, what could I offer her. She deserved so much more than me, she deserved so much better. After everything she deserved to be with a stable and collected man, not some drunk victor that doesn't often know his hands from his feet most of the time.

"Well, they know, I don't know what the biggest emotion was-" I gave her a questioning. "-Shock or happiness." She laughed. She soon spotted the petite half-empty glass of whiskey on the table.

But she didn't scowl, she just portrayed a look on sympathy and understanding. I was sat on the kitchen floor, she sat next to me and brushed a strand of my hair from me face.

"I'm sorry." I murmured.

"There's no need to apologise, Haymitch."

"But you deserve so much more." I said almost desperately.

"I don't want to hear you say that."

"Why me, Effs? Why me?"

"Honestly, I don't know why, but I know that I've made the right choice."

"You deserved someone that can offer you all you deserve, but you've ended up with me."

"It's a lie!…..Haymitch, please, believe me when I say I don't want anything else but you!." The was a brief silence. "Ever since we started working together I always thought that I hated you, that you were the most annoying and infuriating person I knew….I couldn't have been more wrong. I never said anything to you because I was confident that you despised me and I would just fall…but now I know that I'll fall into your arms…..Haymitch, I love you."

"Effie…I'm so sorry…"

"You thought all of this, all that we shared, wasn't real?" she asked nervously.

"Of course not….I just wanted you to have the best."

"There's no such thing as the best."

"Are you happy?" She smiled before she answered and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Happier than I could ever be, Haymitch."

"I could live a million lifetimes and never deserve someone as perfect as you." I smirked.

"I am very far from perfection."

"Now, you're the one who is lying." She gave a slight laugh. "You are so beautiful." I kissed her deeply.

"I never would have turned you down, Sweetheart."

"I'm with you now, that's all that matters to me." I no longer needed the drink.

"How did Katniss and Peeta react to our news?" I chuckled.

"Their jaws dropped, it was a funny sight, it took quite a bit of explaining and empathy to finally get them accustom to the idea." She laughed.

"Well, I hope they get used to it."

"I never want this to end." She blushed.

"Neither do I, Sweetheart."

Effie wandered through a section of barren land that was once the Capitol, smoke rose from mass destruction - causing the sky to turn jet black. She was tackled by creatures, the body of peacekeepers but the faces of mutts and the sensation of tracker jacker venom was shot through her.

She feel onto hard rock and her head began to bleed as her vision span and made her feel sick. She tried calling out, but her voice was replaced by a crackling noise and a choking sensation. The world spun into flames and transformed - much like the design of Cinna's dresses.

She was stripped to almost nothing, her hair, face and body covered with dirt and her back bleeding out as the whip continuously struck her.

And then things went black.

Effie awoke with a terrifying shriek - tears streaming from her sore eyes and down her soft, pink cheeks. I sat up immediately.

"Sweetheart?" I ran a hand down her shoulder and was distressed by her shivers. "Shhh, talk to me, Sweetheart." Her heavy breathing began to sooth from my touch. This experience was totally different from this end, but all too the same.

"It….was like the destruction….of the Capitol and betrayal, then..…then the whipping, I felt tracker jacker venom, cuts, whips….it was all so real…" She breathed. I secured her in a soft embrace.

"Shhh, I know, Sweetheart. It's all over now. Shhh." She buried her face into my shoulder and cried.

"We can get through this, me and you. Together." I kissed her forehead lightly. "It's horrible, I know, but you are so strong, so much stronger than anyone I know, and I'll do anything I can to minimise your suffering."

Her crying slowed dramatically, her shuddering stopped and I gifted her with soothing strokes through her hair. "I love you." I said.

Authors notes: There we go! Another chapter! I really hope you enjoyed it