Chapter 12

Things change (Haymitch and Effie)
Chapter Twelve.

Peeta put down his phone - flabbergasted by what he had just heard. Effie was pregnant, she and Haymitch were having a baby! Of all the things that he ever could have imagined would go on in Haymitch or Effie last this was the last thing he'd ever conceive. We moved away from where the phone lay, his jaw hanging open slightly.

"Peeta are you okay?" Katniss questioned hurriedly. Peeta shook his head to bring himself back to reality.

"Yeah, I'm fine."
"Who was that on the phone?"
"It was Haymitch."

"Haymitch?"
"Yeah."
"What did he want?"
"Well, he was just letting me…well, us know that he and Effie need to leave for a while…for some kind of doctors appointment for Effie."
"What? What's wrong with her? Is she okay?"
"Umm, I think so, I think he said something about her still being effected by the Tracker Jacker venom."
Katniss gave him a confused and questioning look, "Why didn't they come back here?"
"I asked that….." He trailed off slightly.

"And?"
"Well, they wanted to go to somewhere with…I guess advance medical equipment because…."
"Because?"
"Because Effie is pregnant." Katniss' eyes widened.

"What?!"
"I didn't believe it at first either, but…it's true."
"So, wait a second, Haymitch and Effie are having a baby?"

"Yeah, it seems so."
"Whoa."
"I know what you mean." There was a brief silence. "Do you think they're trying to copy us?" Peeta joked. Katniss laughed along with him.

"I can't believe it….I mean…Haymitch and Effie."
"I never expected it."
"But, I guess we can't say that there was never any chemistry between them." Katniss admitted.

"I agree, I mean I know they worked together, but did you notice how they were always next to each other, I mean, If they didn't get along they certainly wouldn't stand by each other."
"Talk about proxemics." Katniss smiled, "Remember just after the tribute parade for the quarter quell and they came into the penthouse together looking so pleased about something?" They both smiled like immature children, enjoying this too much.

"Remember the way they used to look at each other?"
"Yeah."

"I think they always cared for each other."
"They did." Peeta confirmed.
"They kept each other sane. Like when Effie had her own wine away when Haymitch was making an effort not to drink…for us."
"Yeah, or when Effie was talking about being a team and they held hand on the train?" Peeta reminded, still smiling.

"Yeah, I remember that!…And he saved her life."
"Yeah, he did. Just think, if Effie hadn't have come down a few weeks ago this might not have even happened!"

"Yeah, strangely it's almost hard to imagine."
"Seems like everybody is moving on.

"But we're not forgetting." Katniss sighed.

"But we have each other. We're still a team." Peeta reassured - wrapping one arm around Katniss' shoulder and resting his free hand on her still-growing baby bump. Still a team. Still a family.

I held Effie's hand a gave it light squeezes every few seconds. She returned every single one. Silence hung over the room like a tick and suffocating sheet. The waiting was torturous. Effie had gone through several examinations and test that would check both her and the baby's condition. Now, it was time to wait for the results. It was almost sickening being back in the capitol, since the rebellion the survivors had done nothing more than think about this pitiless land, now we were back, our un-born child's health being the only thing keeping me from storming away. Effie looked at me with worried eyes. I did the same, I tired my best to reassure her and also myself, but the results were minimal. The sharp white walls of the doctor's office blinded me, shutting off my sense of sight - leaving me alone with my tormenting thoughts of what could go wrong. What if the baby was harmed? What if Effie was harmed? What if they were both harmed and were forever damaged because of the defensive sting of the wicked Tracker Jacker. I couldn't deal with any more pain, worry or loss. My head began to gyrate, Effie sensed this and ran her finger tips along my shoulder in a soothing circular motion. I gave her a weak smile that was hidden by my fake confidence. A doctor approached us then, looking surprisingly normal considering he was the capitol. He was one of the few that had any sense of normality. I went rigid with nerves - Effie's motion no longer soothing me, but she was now tense as well.

"Right then -" He began formally, his strong Capitol accent ringing in my ear drums. I had to conceal my grimace. "-I've had a long and thorough look through the results and I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that I have good news." We both relaxed a bit now, but the was still a sense of concern within us both. Over the years we have both learnt that nothing is ever as perfect as is said. There's always some kind of problem…

"Now, Effie -" The corner of his mouth curled up minutely when he mentioned her name, he must have recognised her. Another blind Capitol citizen that didn't know what people had been through. That didn't know the meaning of the word suffering. "- was still under the influence of the venom, but as far as we can tell she should be fine now."

"We/l, is there any chance she could still be effected?" I challenged. Effie stayed silent. The doctor nodded.

"Yes. But only a very small one-" He turned to Effie, "Please contanct us if you experience any more symptoms."
"And there baby?" Effie asked fretfully. The doctor smiled again.

"The baby is fine, we can't find any signs of damage so I'm giving you the 'all clear'" Effie smiled brightly and sighed with relief. We rose from our seats and exchanged pointless hand shakes.

"Oh, I take it it's too early to be able to tell the gender?" Effie rolled her eyes at me and the doctor smiled.

"Yes, I'm afraid so, but you can always come back for a scan." Effie laughed at me.
"I think we'll keep this as a s surprise…we have a little bet going on." The doctor smiled.

"Well, good luck with that!"

We left then, we gripped each other's hand and walked with a sense of relaxation, but I still felt sickened by the way of the Capitol, they were all walking around in the over the top, ridiculous and outlandish outfits. They all seemed like they didn't care about the rebellion, like nothing had ever happened, like it was just like some kind of inconvenience. They didn't care about the loss and pain that the people of the districts had suffered and lost. They seemed more saddened about their loss of the hunger games. It was sickening. Effie sensed this. She looked at me briefly.

"It's okay, Haymitch -" She began sweetly. "- They don't care….because they don't understand, they have always lived in a world where everything is just a game….entertainment….I was one of them once." We spoke about them like they were aliens…..

"You were never like them. You were never so blind to the pain of the districts. I know that you acted for the cameras, you did what was best for your team." She did. She always knew what was best for those around her. She never stopped caring.

And overnight train ride was never a comfortable thing to go through, but since we now knew our child was okay it made it all worth it. I insisted that Effie should take it easy, and of course she protested. I rang Peeta again.
"Hello? Haymitch?"
"Hey, Peeta."
"How is everything? How's Effie?"
"She's fine, we got the all clear, as far as they're concerned she shouldn't be effected from the venom any further, but there is still a sight possibility." I explained slowly.

"And….-" Peeta hesitated for a moment. "-And the baby?" Haymitch smiled down the phone.

"Also fine." He said simply.
"Good, I'm glad to hear it."
"Thanks, Peeta. I'll talk to you and Katniss soon?"
"Sure. Oh, and I, uh, updated Katniss on the situation."

"Okay, Thanks, Peeta."

That was it, it was all out and finally we could prepare. Katniss and Peeta's baby was soon to come and Effie and I were only just getting started on our journey.

Author's Notes: I am currently writing the next chapter! :)