Chapter 10

Things change (Haymitch and Effie)

Chapter ten

I ran my hand down Effie head, one of her hair pins fell away from her golden locks and a rebellious strand of hair tumbled down her neck and settled on her shoulder.

"Are things better here in twelve now, since the rebellion ended?" She questioned nervously whilst tucker her stray hair behind her ear. I shrugged.

"Yeah, I guess so, we feel safer, but, we still haven't quite recovered. The children around her only know of the games from school, but those of us who lived through the rebellion, we still remember it. You know?"

"Yeah, yeah I understand.." Effie looked down at the floor, thinking, hurting… I put my hand on her naked shoulder - making her raise her head. It had been days since she recovered from he tracker jacker stings. Katniss' stomach bulge was growing and so was there excitement, ours was too. Effie and I had gotten back into the routine of our normal life, savouring every moment with each other.

And she no longer ran away from my geese. It may not be a surprise - us being together, but it was still so incredible. Every moment.

"But, don't worry, things are much better than they were. Believe me."

"How bad were they."

"Bad. Real bad. People were terrified. They were starving, or suffering in the mines or in their own homes. The only ones that got food were the ones who were dealing in the seam. Which of course was illegal."

"Oh my…."

"It was no better for the children either, even though the reaping was only once a year, they were always terrified, weak and their minds were filled with crap about the capitol…But, like I said, things are better now, people can go out and feel safe. And that kind of freedom is more than any of us could ever have imagined." She gave me a weak smile. "Are you okay?" I questioned with nerves and concern.

"I'm fine." I smiled at her and ran my eyes briefly up and down her half naked body. She blushed. I maundered myself from underneath the covers so I could kiss her forehead whilst lying down.

"Come on, I know when you're lying. Tell me, Sweetheart, what's up?"

"It's nothing." She lied. I gave her a sort of parent look that said 'come on'. She gave.

"Well….." She looked down at the sheets for a moment. Oh shit! What was wrong with her? Was she hurt again? Had something happened to Katniss and Peeta? Was she displeased with our relationship? I had to tense slightly to stop myself from shaking with nerves and fear. Effie took in a few sharp breaths. Was she going to blurt this out or was she going to take me through this step by step?

"You remember the day I came down to twelve don't you? A few weeks ago when we met up next door and all caught up with each other?"

"Yes. Yes." I said eagerly. She looked away again, not dramatically, only subtly.

"Haymitch I'm pregnant." She blurted out calmly. My thoughts darted around my mind frantically.

Pregnant? Effie was pregnant! Whoa….A child…we were going to have a child. I had no idea how to feel about this, I never imagined myself as a father. Bloody hell! A father! Effie and I were going to have a baby. Would this work out? Us having a child? Would we be able to cope with having a baby? I could see it vividly, Us sat around with a small delicate child. I can see Effie being so gentle, so caring and so loving. I'd be pathetic and useless, never knowing what to do…

"You're sure?" I asked, not knowing what else to say.

"Yes, I'm sure."

I didn't ask any further questions of how she was aware of this. I knew. I looked down at the sheets. Thinking over everything over and over in my mind - making my head spin slightly. "Haymitch…please don't be upset or…angry."