Nightmare

I am back in the games.  I have Rose and Peeta is gone. I keep running toward something, I don't know what. I'm running from something as well. I risk a glance behind me and see Snow, but his eyes aren't locked with mine this time, they are locked on someone in the distance. I look closer and see the blonde haired boy standing in the trees, he tries to call out my name but I can't hear him. That's when I realize what they have done to him. They have turned Peeta into an Avox. Snow suddenly has a knife and is no longer chasing after me. He turns and runs toward Peeta at the same time my feet start to move. We reach him at the same time and I lunge out to him, Rose suddenly disappearing from my arms. I don't see her anywhere, but I don't remember dropping her. I am suddenly being pushed behind Peeta, him not letting me risk my life.

"Peeta! What are you doing?!"

"Sh." His voice is cold and then he is suddenly pulled away from me and is being held by Snow.

He isn't even fighting back against him. I watch Snow stab the knife straight through his chest,  starting at his back and the tip if the knife poking out of his wetsuit from the front of his chest. Snow turns the knife and then pulls it out, Peeta clasping to the ground, blood pooling around his wound. I kneel down next to him, he can't be dying he can't be.

"Peeta," I cry, taking his hand in mine, the color already starting to drain from his face. "It's okay. You're okay. You aren't going to die here, I promise. You're going to go home."

"There is no district twelve, Ms. Everdeen," Snow speaks from above me. I look up at him, then back down at Peeta. Blood is pooling on the ground beneath him and his breathing is shallow.

"Save him. You can kill me, just save him."

"I fear it's too late for saving Ms. Everdeen," I look up at him and he is pulling a white rose from his pocket. I hold onto Peeta's hand tighter, but his skin is cold now. I look down and his eyes are closed. His breathing stops and I hear a cannon boom.

"My sympathy Ms. Everdeen," he bends down and lays the rose over Peeta's chest.

I stand up and shake my head. "You killed him."

I pull out an arrow and grab my bow that is now laying on the ground. I load it and aim it right at his chest.

"Let it fly Ms. Everdeen." And I do. It sinks itself into his flesh. I look into his eyes, but they aren't his eyes, they are Prims. I look at him again and see my sister standing in his place, an arrow through her chest.

"Prim!" I catch her in my arms as she falls to the ground, the sound of another cannon going off. I killed my sister. My chest starts to cave in, it's crushing my lungs. I can't breathe. I gasp for breath but I only inhale the choking sent of the white roses.

"PRIM! PRIM!" I scream, waking up in panic, sweat covering my body and my heart racing. "PRIM!"

"Katniss. Shhh, Katniss. It's okay. Prim's okay," I feel a pair of arms wrap around me, for a second I imagine their Peeta's. He's comforting me like on the train and he's safe here in district thirteen with me, but I know that voice. I sob into his chest, trying to grasp what's real. Peeta is dead. No, that's not real. Start with what I know is real.

 My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is district twelve. I was in the hunger games, twice. I escaped. The capitol hates me. Peeta was taken prisoner. We have a daughter. Our daughter's name is Rose. He is thought to be dead. Most likely he is dead. It's probably best if he is dead.

I take a deep breath and calm down a little. If Peeta is dead, it's better than him being held in the capitol. I hope he is dead. He won't be tortured.

"Katniss," Gale says again, still holding me.

"I'm sorry. I had a nightmare."

"It's okay. Are you okay?"

"Where's Prim? Where's Rose?"

"Their okay. They are in their bunker. Rose and Prim are in the bunker with your mom. Their okay Katniss." I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. "You should try to get some rest, you'll need it. They are discharging you tomorrow." I listen to him and try to sleep, eventually succeeding.

I open my eyes slowly, taking in Gale's sleeping form beside me. I notice his arm is still wrapped around me. Like how Peeta's would be if he were here with me. I feel a tear start rolling down my cheek. I miss him. I am about to lay back down when I hear screaming. I stand up and walk toward the door and out in the hall, trying to be quiet. I walk into the room next to mine.

"Finnick."

"They took her Katniss. They took Annie." I understand what he means. "They took her. She's in the capitol. I wish she were dead. At least then they wouldn't be able to hurt her."

 I open my mouth to say something then close it, I don't know what to say.  I can't tell him she is okay, because I worry about the same thing. I notice him tying a knot in some rope and walk over to his bed. I sit down next to him. Neither of us saying anything else. I sit there beside him and he sits next to me, tying his rope. There's nothing to say. The capitol is either torturing them or they have killed them. There is no middle ground. Not with Snow.