last night

I stood backstage waiting to go on for my interview. I had on a wedding dress, the one I was supposed to wear for Peeta and mine wedding. It covered my stomach at least. Peeta still hasn't told Effie so it was a good thing. I heard him announce my name and I walked on. I didn't hear half of what he was saying. I was too worried about making  Snow happy with my answers. I knew it was time to spin, Cinna had told me to save it till the end. I began to twirl and the whole dress went up in flames. It burned and after it was over I raised my arms, Cinna had turned me into a mockingjay.

"It's it's a," Ceaser started.

"A mockingjay,"  I said.  Finally it was over and I walked up to where the other victors were. Peeta walked out and the sight of him took my breath away for a few seconds.  I heard him announce that we did get married, in secret. The rest of his interview was blurry until I heard him say the last thing he did.

"Maybe I'd think that too Cesar, if it weren't for," he paused sighing, "for the baby." The audience gasped, so did I.  Everything erupted into craziness and there was a lot of shouting. Cesar tried to calm everyone and sent Peeta up to the victors.

Peeta hugged me the second he reached me. I took his hand along with the guy next to me and soon all of us were holding hands. The lights on the stage and in the audience all went out. We were ushered off the stage and up to our floor. I leaned on Peeta the whole elevator ride.  

Once we got out onto our floor he picked me up and carried me to my room.

"Would you like a bath?"

"Yes," I said quietly and started to take off my mockingjay dress.

"I've got it," Peeta said. I felt his hands on my back as he unzipped it and gently slid it off me. Next he unhooked my bra and slip off my panties.  He kissed my neck gently and picked me up again. He carried me into the bathroom and set me on the edge of the tub, turning on the water and filling it up. Once it was filled up I got in and he sat on the edge.

I sat in the water, my stomach was huge. Peeta took my hand and then after much convincing decided to join me. My back was against his stomach and my head was resting on his chest. I suddenly heard footsteps and then banging on my bedroom door.

"Katniss! Peeta! Get out here." It was Effie.

"We're in trouble," Peeta whispered to me.

"Uh-oh," I laughed. He got out and helped me out. We quickly dried off and put on our clothes. Once we were dressed and my hair was dry we walked out to the living room area where Effie was waiting.

 I realized once we were standing in front of them that my stomach was visible in this shirt. Almost exactly after I realized that I felt Effies eyes on my belly.

"How far along," she sighed.

"Almost nine months," Peeta answered from beside me.

"Oh," she said almost pained, "The baby. It will be born in the arena. Are you aware of the danger this puts you both in? Well, I guess three of you now."

"I know Effie! I just wish everyone would shut up about it if they aren't going to figure out some way to help me."

"It's Peeta's at least right?"

"Why does everyone keep asking that?! I just kissed Gale! Yes Effie. It's Peeta's."

"You two go in the games tomorrow. There's nothing we can do now."

"That baby bomb idea was a stroke of genius," Haymitch said walking in, "They won't cancel the games though." Effie started to tear up.

"I'm so proud of my victors," she walked over and hugged Peeta crying. Haymitch hugged me then they switched. They turned to walk away, I stopped them.

"Any advice," I asked Haymitch.

"Stay Alive," he smiled slightly then walked off. I could  have sworn I saw him take Effies hand as they walked away, but I'm not sure. Peeta took me into his arms and we stayed just like that, standing there in a hug for what felt like forever.  

When we finally let go of each other his eyes were red. It was obvious he was crying. He walked over to the couch and sat down. I followed him and knelt down on the ground in front of him placing my hands on his legs as he buried his face in his hands.

"Hey Peeta, it's okay. It's all okay."

"Katniss," he was still crying, "it's not. You're in danger now because of me."

"It's my fault too. Having a baby takes two people Peeta, not one."

"I love you Katniss," he sighed and took his hands away from his face and placed them on top of mine.

"I love you too Peeta and I love our baby." I leaned up and kissed his gently. He picked me up gently and carried me into my room laying me on the bed. He got in too and I  rolled over and laid my head on his chest. He wrapped an arm around me.

"In that arena tomorrow, I don't want to be in there with anyone with you."

"Me either Katniss. Me either." We slowly fell asleep together, for what may be the last time.