Reaping Day

I look in the mirror, holding my stomach. If I pull the fabric tight enough, you can tell that I'm pregnant now. I'm eight months tomorrow, I still haven't gotten a big bump. If I wear loose clothes, it just looks like I've put on a little bit of weight. My mom and Prim said that I could wake up one morning and look huge, I'm just glad that it wasn't this morning. The reaping is today and the last thing I want the other tributes to know about me is my weakness, this pregnancy. Cinna has me in a form fitting dress but was able to add some extra material to the stomach. We didn't tell him about the pregnancy, but he seems to know. The reaping starts in about an hour. I finish getting ready and walk downstairs, Cinna admiring me. My mom and Prim are putting on a good front, Gale is here as well. He's been here a lot more since the announcement, he trained with us for close to a month. Peeta and Haymitch are getting ready at their houses. I walk to the living room and sit down on the couch, Gale coming to join me.

"Hey, show them that you aren't just a piece in their games anymore. You can go in there, win, and come home with your baby."

"What good will it do me Gale? If Peeta gets thrown back in there with me, this baby will either lose me or Peeta."

"You'll figure out a way, you always do. Does Snow know yet?"

"Not that I know of. I plan on keeping it that way too."

"Katniss! If he knew, don't you think he might cancel the games? Or at least change the rules?"

"No. He wants me dead, no matter what the cost."

"We aren't going to let that happen."

"Katniss! It's time," Effie announces walking into the house. I stand up to leave and begin to walk to the door.

"Wait," Gale grabs my arm, turning me back to him, "For what it's worth...I still love you and I'll be waiting for you to come home and I'll help you if you come home alone." He kisses me quickly, pulling back and looking at me. He walks into the other room before I have the chance to respond.

I follow Effie outside, meeting up with Peeta and Haymitch as we make our way to the square. Peeta holds my hand as we walk, squeezing it every so often for reassurance. We walk onto the stage, Peeta pulling me against him and kissing my cheek before letting go of me and going onto the side of the stage for guys. I walk onto the side of the stage that is intended for the girls; however, it is just me on this side. Just Peeta and Haymitch on the other. Effie takes her place at the microphone, welcoming everyone to the reaping and playing the video that's required. She doesn't mouth along with it like usual or wear her usual smile. When it comes time to draw names, she gives a sympathetic smile to me and walks to the bowl containing the one piece of paper with my name on it. She fishes in the bowl, as if there are multiple papers in there, before she finally picks mine up and walks back to the microphone.

"Katniss Everdeen."

She doesn't have any emotion in her voice as she says it, I walk to the middle of the stage, joining her. She gives me a worried look as she walks to the bowl containing Peeta and Haymitch's name. I know she doesn't want Haymitch in the games again, I also know that she doesn't want it to be Peeta either. All I can do while she fishes in the bowl is hope that she pulls Peeta's name out and that Haymitch keeps his promise. She grabs a piece of paper and walks back to the microphone again. Haymitch glances at me and nods, he will volunteer for Peeta. Effie unfolds the paper, taking longer than necessary. I see her face fall as she sees the name on the paper.

"Haymitch Abernathy," She sighs out the name, her voice breaking as though she is heartbroken and exhausted at the same time. I share her emotions as I hear the only thing I was hoping not to hear.

"I volunteer." Peeta states and begins to make his way to the center with me. Haymitch pulls him back and advance forward.

"No, you don't kid."