Chapter Two

The afternoon passed on quickly. Customers came and went. Thankfully the rest of my staff , Andrew and Julie, were free so they came over and helped us out. Just as I was about to push the next batch of cookies I made into the oven, Julie bursts into the kitchen with a smile on her face.

"Anna, Mrs. Smith wants to talk to you." Grabbing my wrist she dragged me from the oven.

I raised my eyebrows at her " Did she say why?" I asked her wiping my hands on my apron.

She shrugged and continued to drag me to the counter. " Maybe she decided to invest."

Highly unlikely. "Okay. Okay" I shook my head and laughed at how excited she looked. " Tell Emma I'll be in my office."

I made my way around the counter and spotted Mrs. Smith sitting in one of the tables near the window. She was a beautiful woman with her raven black hair, small pointy nose and light blue eyes. Married to one of the richest men in all of New York at the age of 29 she did not look a day over 25. She was also one of Kaffeklatsch most frequent customers.

"Hello, Mrs. Smith" I smiled warmly at her.

" Oh, darling. Do call me Cynthia", she said standing up and kissing both my cheeks.

"Of course, Cynthia. Would you like to take this into my office?" I asked.

"Yes, that would be wonderful" she replied as she gathered her things.
I led us into a small room which happened to be my makeshift office.

"Please sit down."

"Thank you, dear."

"Now", I said placing my hands on the desk. "What can I do for you?"

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️
" Thank you so much for trusting us Mrs. Smith. I promise you that we will do our best." I shook her hand as I tried to control my emotions.

" It's a pleasure doing business with you, Anna. I'll be back to check on things in a few days. I'll have my assistant email you the design. Goodbye now."

I watched as she strode outside into the sleek black BMW.

I turned and saw Emma, Julie and Andrew anxiously waiting by the cash register.

"Well? What did she want?" Emma probed as soon as I near them.

"Ohmygosh! This is so exciting!" Julie squealed making Andrew cover his ears.

"She wants us to do her son's 7th birthday!", I whisper-screamed.

The girls and I started jumping up and down making some of the customers smile while others, like the trio from earlier that afternoon, rolled their eyes at our silliness.

"I don't get it. What's the big deal? It's a children's party" Andrew said earning a smack from Julie.

"Business started only 3 months ago! Being offered to do a birthday party is huge! Especially that of a Smith's party" Emma explained as Andrew rubbed his arm.

"Just imagine if we pulled this party off the Smith's would recommend us to all of their elite friends. We'll be rich!!" Sighing happily Julie rested her head upon Andrew's shoulder.

"Exactly! Now I'll be in my office brainstorming if you need-"

"Oh no no no. We have to celebrate" Emma whined cutting me off. " You've worked so hard for this place, Anna. And look! You've already been booked. By the Smith's. 3 months after we opened!"

" But we have so much work to do!" I argued

" One night, Anna. Just one night. You need to get laid" Julie said.

" Yes! What you need a good old, dirty, sweaty sex!" Emma exclaimed.

"Okay. My work here is done" Andrew said backing away from us.

I felt my cheeks redden "I don't even have anything to wear for a club."

" That's why you have us." Emma said wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"Fine. Just this once" I sighed giving in. I walked into my office leaving them squealing.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️
Rotating my head from side to side I let out a groan after being hunched over for two hours I was able to come up with a dozen party themes for the Smith's to choose from.

Glancing at the old wall clock above my door I noticed it was already 5 o'clock which means that the children from the Waldorf Academy would be on their way home right now. I went out of my office to see a line of nannies along with the children starting from the cash register up to the door. I quickly went behind the register to help my team out.

"Whew! I don't even know how you manage to smile after that all chaos" Julie said slumping down on the chair.
I looked around at the nearly empty cafe and smiled to myself. This is it. I was living my dream.

"Where is Emma? I asked

" She went home to get some clothes for later" Andrew replied without looking up from his phone.

I groaned.

"Speaking of later. Can I please go get ready now?" Julie said standing up.

" Go go. I'll lock up later" I said swiping the counter.

Julie squeal as she quickly gathered her things " Thank you! You are the best boss ever!" She said halfway out of the door.

I chuckled and turned to look at Andrew " You can go too as well, Andrew. Here" I grabbed a couple of cupcakes and started packing it.

"Anna you don't have to do that" he said stopping me from filling up the box.

"Nonsense, I stole you from your girlfriend by asking you to come to work today. It's the least I could do" I pushed the box into his chest.

"Thank you, Anna" Andrew said giving me a hug. "Like seriously, Thank you!" Giving me one last squeeze before stepping back.

"Go! I know you still have class tomorrow" I said waving as he made his way out.

I looked at my watch and bit my lip as I made my way to tables as the last customer left. Grabbing the cleaning supplies form the closet I turned to the far right corner of the cafe and that's when I saw him.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

I slid across the chair in front of the little boy about 5 to 6 years old. He was wearing a Waldorf Academy uniform with his little brown messenger bag across his chest. I looked around the empty cafe again as I pondered as to why he sitting in my cafe alone.

" Hi there. My name is Anna. What's yours? " I cooed at the little boy in front of me.

Gingerly he lifted his head up and I was suddenly staring at a pair of gorgeous emerald green eyes "My name is Lucca." His cute little voice made me want to squeal.

Gosh I was turning into Julie.

I smiled warmly at him. "Well Lucca, are you waiting for someone?

He nodded his blonde hair flopping up and down his head. " Mr. Black is suppose to pick me up" he said pouting.

" Where does Mr. Black usually wait for you?" I asked. Poor kid. He's been waiting for over two hours.

" My Dad's office" just then a loud grumbling sound echoed throughout the cafe. I looked at Lucca and saw his cheeks turn pink.

"Oh dear. You poor, baby. Come I'll get you some food you must be very hungry" I stood up and offered my hand to the little boy.

He looked at it hesitantly. " Don't worry. I won't hurt you. Pinky promise" I said kneeling down in front of him and held out me pinky.

He looked at me and smiled. Dimples marking his beautiful face. Boy this little boy is bound to be a heartbreaker. Latching his pinky onto mine we went into the kitchen for some dinner.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

Hello! I feel as though my chapters are too short and boring. I promise to try and write longer next time. Enjoy!