Chapter Five

speak up,

even if your voice shakes

.-: :-  -: :-゜・.

"ARE YOU READY?"

I tried to hold in my snort as I looked up at my boyfriend, "We're about to watch a movie, not go on some dangerous heist."

Tyler glanced over, the corners of his lips fighting a smile, his eyebrows slightly raised, "You sure about that?"

I glanced down at my arms full of popcorn and sweets, coupled with my overly suspicious looking bag that I had managed to stuff more sweets into.

"Kind of, yeah."

"Feel free to grab on to me anytime your scared," he smirked, showcasing his dimple, "I heard it's supposed to be scary."

I rolled my eyes, "I told you horror is my favorite genre and you still don't believe me, huh?"

"That's what you all say," Tyler huffed, as we shuffled further up the line.

"We'll see," I sniffed, pretending to look indifferent, "I can assure you though, I'm a horror movie junkie, so I don't get scared very easily."

"Watching Monster House and Coraline don't count," Tyler pointed out with a scoff.

"Why not?" I defended, looking offended, "They're scary for children to watch."

"Yes, but you're almost an adult. . ." he said slowly, enunciating each word.

"I had nightmares about buttons getting sewn onto my eyes for weeks," I hissed, nearly knocking over my bucket of popcorn in mock-anger.

A deep laugh rumbled from his chest, letting loose a sound that I was beginning to love. The corners of his eyes crinkled as he tilted his head back an inch.

"You're too adorable," he grinned, and with a hand, wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to him. I choked on the piece of popcorn I had secretly been shoveling into my mouth, and quickly doubled over, clutching at my stomach. He grabbed one of the drinks from my hands, watching me through concerned eyes as I banged against my chest with my fist.

"You okay, hon?"

With what I knew had to be red cheeks, I shot him an awkward smile, "Cheesy."

"You're so accident-prone, you know that?"

He rolled his eyes as he handed me back my drink. I took a long gulp of the cold liquid, relishing the way it gushed down my throat, soothing the small ache.

"Am not," I childishly retorted, even though I knew he was right. The amount of times I had walked into doors and walls, or tripped up the stairs, fallen over bins, or sometimes I just fell over air. It was embarrassing that Tyler had to be the one to see me topple over like a toddler learning to walk.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," he sighed, but his lips quirked when I stuck my tongue out at him.

"It's our turn," I tugged on his sleeve, pointing to the machine. As Tyler walked up to buy our tickets, I had a sneaky grin on my face. He had no idea what he was in for.

.-: :-  -: :-゜・.

"It's okay, you know."

I held up my hand, trying to stifle my laughs while Tyler stalked ahead, his face turning red. I scurried after him, in an attempt to keep up with his long strides, but my small legs were no match for his longer ones.