Chapter Eleven

perhaps it

was only ever

the idea

of you

.-: :-  -: :-゜・.

THERE WAS AN INCESSANT BANGING ON THE DOOR.

I jolted from my curled up position on the couch and jerked my head in the direction of the front door. My parents had gone out to do some shopping and I used the excuse that I still felt too sick and tired to go with them. But as soon as the doorbell began to ring, coupled with a few panicked knocks, my heart started racing in my chest.

Was it Tyler? Had he come looking for me already? He had been blowing up my phone the entire weekend with calls and texts; some demanding to know where I was, while others were sweet and written beautifully. I was too scared to even read all of them, and ended up shutting my phone off so I wouldn't have to hear it or see the screen constantly light up.

I pulled the soft blankets that were pooled around my waist away, and with caution, I padded over to the door, my heart pounding against my chest with unnatural ferocity. A tall shadow was looming outside my door. I jumped back when a familiar, deep male voice called out behind the door.

"Naomi!"

Reaching over, I unlocked the door and pulled it open, flinching back at the cold gust of wind that flew in.

"Toby," I breathed, placing a hand on my chest in relief and closed my eyes for a moment, "Hey. . . What are you doing here?"

He stood with his hands running through his hair in desperation. He looked panicked and had deep frown lines etched on his forehead as he stared at me in relief. Small rain droplets were lodged into his hair, making the colour appear darker than it usually was.

He blinked at me as if didn't understand my words, "Hey? Naomi, where have you been? Are you still feeling sick? Are you okay? I sent you about a hundred messages, didn't you get any of them?

"I'm fine, don't worry. My phone ran out of charge and I was just too lazy to charge it," I forced a smile onto my face, but Toby narrowed his eyes on me and I knew he was the one person I wouldn't ever be able to fool.

"Don't lie to me," he frowned and softened his gaze, "If you don't want to talk about whatever is bothering you, that's okay, just don't lie to me and tell me you're okay when you're not."

I swallowed the lump that had formed in my throat and nodded, "Sorry."

"Don't apologize," he shook his head and bent over to pick up a small plastic bag that I hadn't noticed and held it up as a peace offering, "I bought your favorite snacks and I rented 10 Things I Hate About You, if you're up for it?"

I glanced up at his hopeful expression and the way he smiled at me, his eyes flickering back and forth between mine. I hesitated; on the one hand I knew I didn't really want to be alone. The eerily silent house was making the hairs on my arm rise, and every little noise was making me jump in fright. Yet, at the same time, I wanted to be alone and I knew I didn't have the energy to be around anyone.

"I. . . I think I want to be alone right now," I said, my voice coming out hoarse, "I'm sorry, Toby."

His face fell at my words, only succeeding to worsen how awful I was feeling. But, as quick as his expression fell, he managed to brighten in back up with a soft smile.