Chapter Fourteen

i hate myself,
but i can't tell you that.

you'd tell me not to,
but you don't understand

.-: :-  -: ✧ :-゜・.

THE DISTANT SOUND OF MUMBLED VOICES WOKE ME UP.

"- sure she'll be okay?"

"Don't worry young man, she'll be just fine after some rest."

My eyes began to flutter open. Drowsiness filled every cell in my body with a splitting pain erupting in the right side of my head. I let out an agonized groan at the pounding feeling; placing a hand over it, as if that would help ease it. As my eyes fully opened, I flinched away at the harsh lights that were above me.

"You're awake!"

Unaware that there was someone beside me, I violently jolted at the sudden loud voice that came from my right. The fear that Tyler was beside me, sat on me like a pillow was covering my mouth and nose. Enough air would get in, allowing me to stay alive, but at the same time, it felt crippling. My heart raced faster and faster, and I could feel the colour slowly draining from my face; my saliva thickening to a rancid paste.

However, as soon as my brain registered the familiar, soothing voice, it was like a calming aura was placed over me. My heart slowed down, and my body seemed to uncurl and relax. I wasn't sure if it was the person or the voice that affected me in this way, but either way, I didn't mind.

"Hey Toby," I greeted and shot him a weak grin.

Toby's smiling face was close to mine, so close, I could see every individual freckle that smattered his nose. I stared at the familiar face for a few seconds, a frown appearing on my face when my heart seemed to skip a beat.

"Naomi Marie Ryder!" he suddenly exclaimed, making me cringe back at the use of my full name, "I swear one of these days you're going to give me a heart attack. How do you expect me to live until I'm ninety when you keep scaring me like this?"

Gone was his smile, replaced with a heavy frown, stress lines marring his skin. Concern and worry shone as bright as the night stars as he stared down at me with a hard intensity.

I furrowed my brows heavily as I tried to think back, "I'm sorry. . . but what happened again?"

And suddenly, like a wave crashing against the shore, everything came back to me. Tyler, his mother, the threat against my parents. . . Everything. For a short, bittersweet moment, I didn't remember. For a moment, I didn't have his face, his voice. . . following me everywhere. And that small moment was the most peace I had had, in weeks.

Toby shrugged his shoulders, clueless, "I'm not too sure myself. They found you passed out on the floor in one of the classrooms. . ." he trailed off, shooting me a hesitant look, "I was actually going to ask you that question."

"I-I. . ."

My voice came out in a small, quiet whisper, almost unintelligible. Toby's face grew concerned as I struggled to get a single word out. The immense pressure that was weighing down on m y chest was making it hard for me to even breathe properly.

"Is this about Tyler again?" he growled, as realization dawned on his face. He narrowed his eyes on me when my face grew red in shame, "Don't you dare lie to me, Naomi. Did you talk to him?"

I opened my mouth to reply, but nothing came out. It was almost like my mind was screaming at me, telling me what to say but I was simply unable to express it. My eyes were glossy with unshed tears as I gave a short nod of my head. While I hadn't yet opened up to Toby about what had happened, he knew something bad had happened. Over the past few days, he had been glued to my side, not letting anyone near me, making as many jokes as he possibly could and bringing in my favorite snacks.