Chapter 23: Jane

I know it's been ages since I last updated and I probably don't have a good enough reason for such a delay but school has been keeping me busy in the past few months. I am sorry for taking so long and I really hope that you guys are still reading this story. I really hope you haven't given up on me.

I'd like to thank my fantastic editor who took her time and edited a 10 page chapter. Thank you so much putunee :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy. This chapter is quiet heavy on content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Chapter Twenty Three

     Jane: December, 2007

I sat on the unfamiliar sofa across Elena who was pacing back and forth from her living room to the kitchen. Her eyes frantically searched the room as if someone was chasing us. My hands trembled in anticipation as the minutes passed and as Elena continued to look worried. I glanced at the clock on the wall, noticing that two hours have passed since we’ve packed my bags and left to what seemed to be Elena’s apartment.

“He won’t come,” Elena suddenly announced snapping herself into reality. She shook her head and repeated, “No, he definitely won’t come.”

“Elena,” I called, causing her pixie like form to stiffen.

“I’m scared,” I admitted, lowering my head towards the ground in shame. “I’m so damn scared.”

I felt her next to me a moment later, a comforting hand on my shoulder, soothing my racing nerves. I took a set of deep breathes and let them out slowly, trying to calm myself down.

Was it really over? Was I really free?

I covered my face with my hands and shut my eyes tightly, refusing to let the tears fall. I felt so confused, so disoriented and all over the place. My head span and my body was restless as every part of it shook and trembled.

“Elena,” I called out again, desperate to feel her next to me. I was slipping away from reality. I looked up from the darkness of my hands but my vision still blurred. “Elena,” I said again, letting out a pathetic sob. My breaths labored and my body lost its control. I shivered, feeling cold all of the sudden. A layer of sweat covered my face but I felt as if my face was pale as a sheet. “I-I can’t breathe,” I stuttered, feeling salty tears against my cheeks.

I tried to slow my breathing and control the raging shivers but my body couldn’t stop. I tried to recall what Sebastian did when I went into my panic attacks but my head grew blank.  

“Breathe, Jane, breathe.” I vaguely heard Elena’s alarming voice. I attempted to follow her lead but I couldn’t control anything in my body. I shook my head angrily as sobs raked my body. How come he knew what to do? How was it that he took care of these panic attacks so calmly, almost making me forget that I had them?

“Elena,” I breathed out with a struggle. Memories kept flashing in my head while I searched for the familiar one. My brain felt like exploding but I forced myself to think. What did Sebastian do? How did he take care of them?

The pills!

 I breathed out a sigh of relief as I remembered. The pills, of course, how could I have forgotten?

“It’s in my bag,” I let out, trying to control the shivers in my body. “The bottle of pills, Elena, I need them right now.”

“The pills… Oh my god, the pills!” Elena exclaimed in a relieved tone. She stood up quickly and walked towards my bags and looked for my purse. After a few a minutes I saw the pills in her hand along with a glass of water.