Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Morning rose quick and hot. When he opened his eyes, he was greeted with a flood of emotions. The last time he had been here, he had been so nervous about what his parents would tell him. How different life was today to then. That day he had been an excited father to be. He had been imagining what a few years later would be. Aishu with him, loving and caring, while they were trying for another baby.

Today he was... what was he today? It was like nothing had changed. He had Aishu beside his side, with his child, but could this day be any emptier? How did he get thrown in this situation? Sighing, he removed the arm over his forehead and turned to look at his wife. It was rare that he got up before she did.

She was sleeping with her hand tucked under her cheek, plumping her face funnily, making her lips to pout. His eyes took in each feature, the beautiful eyebrows to the soft curved chin. Normally he would have started feeling aroused. Come on, do not judge him. He had been celibate since forever. Carefully rolling to his side, he ran his eyes all over her sleeping form. Maybe it was because she was sleeping, but he felt nothing but adoration as she fluttered her eyelids and opened her eyes fully.

“Good morning,” he whispered, smiling.

She smiled back groggily, taking a deep breath and whispered, “Good morning.”

His mouth watered as she stretched and switched her eyes to the baby. He realised with shock that he had not spared a glance to Diya since he woke up. Aishu had contained his attention and thoughts completely. Shiftily, he transferred his eyes to his child too and a chuckle burst through before he could contain it.

She was flat on her stomach, her weight resting on her shoulders while her arms were limp at her sides. She had slightly raised herself on her knees such that her soft triangle patch of cloth covered bottom was waving in the air. She gave a soft giggle and Arul raised his eyes, amazed. How long had it been since he heard her laugh?

Lovingly she bent and kissed the baby butt just as Arul reached to caress the soft bottom. His hand ended on her silky hair and she froze, gazing up at him through her lashes. Humour twinkled in her eyes. It looked like he was forcing her to kiss their baby’s ass. He gave a snort of laughter before throwing his arm on his eyes and laughing full outright. Seconds later, she was giggling with him while the source of their bubbly laughter snoozed quietly with her bum still in the air.

*

“So what do you want to do today?”

She tilted her head at him as she replied, her eyes still trained on the clothes she was folding.

“I don’t really know... We are starting tomorrow...”

Arul sighed. He had to stay back for his business while she was going back to Chennai.

“Why are you going back again?” he queried for the fiftieth time.

She pressed the clothes in a neat pile and gave him an exasperated look.

“I am running out of baby formula and diapers and I have already booked the return ticket.”

“Hyderabad is not the capital of the Amazon forest,” he said sarcastically.

She sat down on the couch beside him and said, “This temperature difference is not good for the baby, Arul. She needs comfortable surroundings.”

Diya gave a huge giggle just as Aishu stopped talking, making them both glance down to see her squeeze the buggy eyes out of her chew toy.

“Yes, she is having a hard time,” he said, sarcasm dripping faster than an old man’s bladder.