Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I am quite sure you guys are in for a surprise. Pleasant or not is up to you to decide though I certainly hope it is! Enjoy!

“Mom,” called Arul as he entered his parents’ apartments. Ever since he had taken over his father’s cement company at 25, he had been staying at Hyderabad though whenever he gets a break he comes over and stays with them. Most weekends were spent with them for the past two years until now. Now, his time was being demanded by Aishu more and more.

He was here today only because she had gone home over the weekend. The deal was to talk to their respective parents and take the next step. He shut the door behind him just as his mother came out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on the pallo of her saree.

“Arul,” exclaimed Anjali, a grin splitting her beautiful face, “Welcome home, dear!”

She turned to the entrance, calling, “Ennanga, come out and see who’s here!”

She approached him, placing her hand on his cheek, wondering for the nth time his tall stature. “How are you dear?”

Arul smiled, her enthusiasm affecting him too. Bending to hug her, he murmured in her ear, “Surely you are getting more beautiful by the day?”

Anjali laughed, shaking her head. “With a tongue like that, you are dangerous to the female population.”

“Well, he still has me to contend with,” laughed a deep voice, which still didn’t fail to make Anjali’s stomach tremble a little bit.

The men hugged each other and Anjali said, “You were out of the market 28 years ago, dear, so I am afraid he would not be too worried about you.”

Ani frowned. “I am available now.”

Anjali smacked him on his arm with a mock frown and said, “You are not available even if you become 90 years old. So shut up. Arul, did you have your lunch?”

“No mom, I just hoped I could have it here.”

“Will get it ready in ten minutes,” replied Anjali, rushing away to the kitchen leaving the men alone.

“How have you been, Arul?” queried Ani, hugging his son and patting his back.

“I am fine, dad,” smiled Arul, “there is something I need to tell you over lunch.”

Ani raised his eyebrows. Lunch was family time and business had been strictly avoided during them. His son had something personal to talk about. His son left him alone to freshen up and Ani went to the kitchen, simply to watch his wife move around. If it were his marriage, then it would be quite difficult to hold Anjali to the ground. A smile worked its way to his lips as she reached up to retrieve a small jar of cinnamon.

She huffed when she could not reach it and he was sure she would be calling him any minute now. He tiptoed behind her and wound his arms beneath her bottom, lifting her easily. She squealed in surprise, taking a minute to recover and pick the jar. Holding it to her chest like a kid with a lollipop, she looked down at him. He slid her down his length, stopping short a foot from the ground.

She rested her elbows on his forearms and said, “When did you come?”

“Quite sometime ago,” he admitted.

“You could have got it for me yourself,” she pointed out.

“And where is the fun in that?” he asked, releasing her when she squirmed a little.

Placing the jar near the stove, she turned to him, closing the distance between them. Standing on tiptoe, she kissed him just beneath his lips and whispered, “You are too old to have fun anymore.”