Chapter 8

A huge commotion erupted behind him and he turned away from the window and stared at the door.

“Call you back,” he interrupted her and yanked the door open.

Many people were crowded around and they seemed to be beating someone who was crouching on the floor.

Arul rushed up and shouted, “Stop it right now or I call the police.”

They scattered away to reveal the watchman bleeding on the floor.

*

Chapter 8

The man lay twitching, his lips and nose covered in blood. Arul knelt beside the man and gently touching his shoulder asked, "Are you alright?"

The man groaned, "Water..."

"Get the man some water," shouted Arul, checking for broken bones. Thankfully there were none and he helped him sit up. With a grunt, he lifted him to his feet and dragged him to his office. Settling him down on his visitor's couch, he grabbed the cup someone was holding and tipped the liquid in the man's mouth.

"Get the medical staff, will you?" he murmured handing the glass back and crouched before the man whose head was bowed.

"Better?"

The man looked up, his eyes filled with tears. "Sir, I am really sorry. I did warn my brother not to smoke-"

"Your brother?" asked Arul, confused.

"Yes, sir, my brother. He was the watchman on the day everything caught fire."

"Why are you here?" It did not add up. What would this man want?

"I came to ask if I can repay the money, sir."

Arul sat back on his heels, staring at the man. Was he offering money for something that was his brother's fault?

"I will work without a salary if you want, sir. We could-"

"No, please, no. It is not your fault and we got some insurance, anyway. It is alright, sir. Just let it go."

"No, I cannot do that," cried the man, looking shocked, "It is unfair, sir and-"

"It would be unfair too to punish you for your brother's sins."

"It is only just that I get it than you, sir."

"If you really want to help me, tell me where your brother is. I am not looking to punish him. I want him to just resign his job."

"I do not know, sir. But I promise I will make him contact you as soon as I know."

His father had once told him, "Keep yourself surrounded by honest people. That way, you would be an honest person too." Also it was not like he could not afford the loss. But then, they do need another watchman.

"I would like you to do something for me," interrupted Arul.

"Anything, sir."

"Work for me. We need a new watchman."

Just as the man started sputtering his thanks/apology, the medical team stepped in and Arul stepped out, in search of the staff who had beat the poor man.

*

It was late by the time he returned home. Half the people who had been violent were employees who had been in the organisation earlier than him. It was difficult looking in to the eye of someone and scolding, knowing they had seen you drool on your dad's suit. Indeed when he had given them a stern stare, they had looked so proud of him, he had felt his ears burn with embarrassment.