Chapter 4

It was like she was asking him to laugh while being doused in acid.

“Please, try,” she beseeched, “If I don’t know the woman you know, then I can’t be her, right?”

“That is too twisted for me to understand,” he said flatly and she grinned slightly, shrugging.

“Alright, I will try,” he said with difficulty, “What is this idea of yours?”

“Umm, why don’t we – uh- er -  get married?”

Chapter 4

He stared at her, his incredulity making her feel embarrassed. Searching her eyes, he could see that she was serious but he asked her anyway.

“Come again?”

She didn’t open her mouth though. Obviously she couldn’t form the words a second time. With great difficulty it seemed, she whispered, “Can we get married?”

His ears had not been deceiving him then. Taking a step back from her, he drew a deep breath as his chest caught in a huge heave. When he released it in a laugh, she stared at him, her jaw dropping open. Her face distorted however, when his eyes clouded with tears of mirth.

“Ma-ma-marry,” he wheezed, coughing and trying to control himself, clutching his stomach and leaning on the wall for support. Gulping he recovered enough to say, “Marry you? You?”

He dissolved in to laughter again, this time collapsing to the floor on all fours, pounding on it with his right fist.

“There is nothing so funny here,” she said stiffly and he could hear the tears in her voice. But he couldn’t stop himself and a few more coughs escaped him before he could control himself sufficiently. Leaning back on his heels, he pushed himself up and regarded her, his lips still slightly curved.

“It is to me. Never in my life did I imagine that you would say such a thing.”

Her lips thinned. “I would rather that you would just come to the point.”

“The answer is no,” he said gravely, clearly indicating that it was not up to negotiation.

“Why?” she demanded, a frown marring her eyebrow.

“Why? Why? Do I really need to tell you?”

“Yes,” she said with emphasis. “Why?”

“Because you are not worthy of marriage. You are only good enough for a tumble.”

That hurt her, he could see. Tears gathered in her eyes and she turned her face away to keep him from seeing them. Fisting his hands, he stopped himself from comforting her. She was a vile snake and he would be damned if he brought her in to his home. With every ounce of his willpower he would fight her and the temptation she offered. Her voice bobbed with emotion as she answered him.

“That was not fair. I don’t remember any of that.”

“Not my fault,” he said carelessly, pushing his hands in his pockets. “Is that all or do you have any more ideas?”

Try as he might, he couldn’t prevent the taunt in the end.

“I would like you to consider it for a bit longer than a second,” she said curtly, patting the baby’s back, “She is still an infant and like it or not, she needs my milk. You have to think about her and not about me.”

He closed his eyes briefly and said, “I need a minute.”

Walking over to the gate, he pulled his phone out and dialed his father’s number. It was answered instantaneously, confirming his doubts that his parents were staying up late till he reached home. Ani’s rich voice interrupted his musing.