Chapter 9

Chapter (9)

“SHE’S THE ENEMY?!?!?!?!?” I almost scream at the top of my lungs. I seriously couldn’t imagine Laura of all people to be the enemy. I know she’s the head slut of the school and it’s a wonder she has any friends at all. But then again her friends are like scared puppies, their tails between legs. Spineless brats! My sight, now that I notice is tinted a fluorescent yellow and the comforting heat of a flame surrounded me. I look towards the brothers to find both of them seemingly scared out of their wits. After what seemed like two hours, Jordan told me mentally, “Calm down, Analie. We don’t need you pissed right now but I guarantee you, you’ll be pissed later.”

  Well doesn’t that comfort me! Still I took his advice and slowly my vision receded to a light yellow, almost back to normal. It will have to do since he told me I am going to be pissed about something later on. It would make no sense to stay calm and get pissed all over again, so this seems like the smarter approach. Now that I think about it I never changed out of what I was wearing yesterday except now its wrinkled every which way and minus my converse. I guess Kale was nice enough to take them after I fell asleep. Yet, with this I refocus my mind on the task on hand, WHAT THE HELL IS LAURA DOING MISSING???

   “Ana, before we launce into an explanation lets see if you can guess. You notice how all of Laura’s minions seem like they have their tails between their legs? They’re wimps to the highest degree, not even once have you heard them gossip on their own about their she-devil of a leader? Seem fishy to you?” Kale stated each point clearly to me. I stare at him till something clicked in my mind. Not once in all of the schooling years has anyone ever talked back to her except me. Every single person treated her as a queen. The passes she got when her brother died went on longer than they should have. She’s like us. She has a gift.

   “She’s like us….She has a gift. What about her brother? What’s the gift?” I stated firmly.

   “Her gift is Mind Manipulation. She can twist your memories and form them into events that never happened, or convince someone that you had promise to get a free pass for 3 months. She can alter almost anything in your thoughts. As we explained earlier powers for siblings are the same, so Darren has the same power as well.” Kale told me rather coldly. I detected a feeling he hates them with everything inside him.

   “Wait, what? Are you saying that Darren is alive? His dead! You should be saying it in the past tense not present!” I was at the brink of screaming, yelling louder every word. I could not believe that Darren had altered my own sister’s memory! My vision blazed to a blood red and my body felt like I was standing inside an oven that was set to 400 degrees for a long period of time. It was comfortable and I most likely wouldn’t have noticed it without the ever so scared expressions of Kale’s and Jordan’s. Even with that everything that is wrong with my sister clicks. The fact my sister never noticed those nasty looks he casted my way, and the fact my sister can’t bear to talk about the accident. I bet with having myself as a sister I only caused the reaction from the mental manipulation to end worse. With this thought, my eyes grew close to black surprisingly, yet I could still clearly make out the guys. I looked around myself for the first time and noticed the twirling strands of hair that formed a rather elegant circle around my head. With the fire licking from every piece of my body, each piece making intricate patterns causing me to become entranced in how the flames danced across my skin. My gaze wandered to Kale standing several feet away, staring at me with horror and fascination clouding his eyes. I could tell something was hiding behind those two emotions but I couldn’t pick out what. I slid my vision to Jordan who as well as his brother stood away from me several feet. He on the other hand seemed like his was concentrating hard to get something across.

    For second, I thought a whisper of a voice had uttered something in my mind but it soon disappeared. I tilted my head to them, curious on what Jordan could possibly be doing. My gaze moved from his and looked towards the floor to find myself floating slightly a foot off the ground. I focused my mind and found Jordan yelling firmly, “ANALIE CALM DOWN OR YOU’RE GOING TO KILL US!” 

  “What?” I whispered.

   All thoughts of harm or control were lost after the noise. It was almost like I discontented myself from everything surrounding me and the hatred and anger fueled the flame to the size of a hallway arch. Slowly I descended downward and the color in my eyes ebbed away to a dim pale yellow. I felt drained and it was only the beginning of the day. Once my feet touched the ground, I fell down, lying on my side staring at the O’Connell’s feet. Kale bent down his knees, staring at me with his piercing eyes, swimming with concern; mine, most likely blank of anything.

   I felt helpless, I couldn’t even notice the signs that Darren and his sister showed. They sometimes flaunted it continuously with most likely believing that I was like everyone and I would follow their coat tails. It explains how I never cringed or quivered when I replied back to Laura. How none of her shit affected me, it felt like it kind of just bounced off me verses penetrate my shield. It explains how neither of them seemed pleased or smug near me. They knew they couldn’t get me but they used everyone else to hate me and be against me.

   I would love to think of this as a pity act. They didn’t get a lot of attendance from their parents but that would be the complete opposite. They are a rich and well-known family. Their father, Rodd Kingstown, famous scientist that ‘tested’ on our kind; it’s a wonder that he hasn’t tested on his own children. While their mother, Birdie Kingstown is a typical PTO President parent that can get her kids out of anything. She wears everything from Prada to Chanel and most likely has never set a foot into a department store. Everything seems to be too quiet now that I notice and push myself upward into a sitting position with my legs crossed. Kale still sat in front of me, not moving an inch. I opened my mouth to speak but before I could utter a word Jordan spoke, “Analie, you must being thinking everything over and noticed how Darren and his sister stick out like sore thumbs. But what you may not know is their parents are their real ones. They are the ones who have broken the sacred rule. Their father is one of us but tests on his own kind to eliminate any competing kind. His wife and children are power hungry beyond the point of no return. His own wife has used her power to put him under a heavy fog. He only see’s the good of his actions from his wife’s point of view. He has lost all will to fight because he wouldn’t be able to function on his own anymore. He now needs his wife’s guidance in order to live.”

  With this information, I felt this sadness rise in my gut for Rodd. He would die without his wife’s influence. He can only do badly to us. A single tear slid down my cheek. Only one tear will be shed for them. I wiped it away and said, “So they are the enemy. We have to stop them.” My voice contained a stony air to it. My face became a mask of hate. Even with the comic book plot that was unfolding, they’re the evil, darkness and such while we are the light, the good. My mouth twitched to a smirk. I noticed both of them looking at me like I have a few screws loose. To be honest, I won’t blame them because I could agree.

  I ask, “Is there anything else that you’re leaving out?”

  Kale answered, “Honestly? Quite a bit; can we tell you? Nope.”

  “UGH! Can you tell me at least something?” I asked with exasperation.

 “Yes, we have heard from Jared that Kathy is having a breakdown. She claims she is seeing Darren.” Kale told me with the underlying anger within his words.

 “No.” I barely whispered.          

~~~~~~

A/N: None of these are edited so when I find the time I will go back and correct some things!  :) Enjoy!