Chapter 10-Skateboarding

The morning went by very slowly. Especially since I had no-one to sit next to because Ellie seemed to have quit school! One of the teachers told me off because I wasn’t wearing my school skirt and tights and when I tried to explain that they had ripped down the sides she just shook her head at me. Lunchtime seemed as if it would never come, but when the clock hit one-thirty all the students streamed into the school grounds and I headed towards the pens. All the boys were skateboarding today and I watched as they skated back and forth doing slightly crazy stunts.

“Do you want a go?” Colin asked and he rolled a black coloured skateboard towards me.

“I’d probably end up breaking it by mistake!” I warned and he just laughed at me as if wasn’t deadly serious.

Over in the right hand corner of the pen I saw a group of them building something and I headed over to see what it was. They had balanced a piece of wood on a log.

“I don’t mean to be rude but…what is it?” I puzzled, tilting my head to one side.

“It’s a ramp.” One of them said, rolling his eyes as if it were obvious.

“Oh…” I relented.

“Why don’t you be the first to try it?” He asked mischievously.

A kind of silence fell as everyone looked at me expectantly.

“Well?” Colin said, eyebrows raised. It was obvious that he didn’t think that I would be stupid enough to go on it but when I glanced towards the outside of the pens and saw Jen-and also Abigail- watching me, my mind was made up. I placed the skateboard down onto the ground and took a step backwards, trying to estimate how far I had to go before I hit the ramp.

People were cheering me on saying things like ‘go on Kat’ and so I stood on the board and sped off along the pavement. Colin shook his head at me but there was no going back now. With a final kick I was launched up the ramp and into the air! I was about to do some kind of fancy trick before I heard someone shout, “Katrina Johnson what are you doing?”  My head snapped up and I saw Mr Nealson storming towards me. He had distracted me…I wasn’t looking where I was going…I hurtled towards the ground, rolling over before scraping my leg against the rough concrete. Blood started to seep through my black leggings as I picked myself up. Everyone gathered around me. Even the people in the next pen had stopped to watch.

“Katrina, go to medical and then go straight to my office!” Mr Nealson ordered.

      “You really can’t stand the sight of blood can you?” Colin stated, watching as I hit my face behind his back and the nurse treated the wound on my leg. I shook my head.

“Done.” The nurse called and I turned back around. “I’ll just go and get you some water: you look as if you are about to faint!”

Colin burst out laughing, when the nurse had gone.

“It’s not funny!” I exclaimed.

“I can see that you’re smiling!” He pointed out and tried to hind my smile by leaning against his shoulder again. “Um it’s no use hiding behind me I can still see that smile!”

“Ok fine,” I admitted.

“You should have seen it though,” Colin joked, “blood everywhere!”

I pushed him, “Don’t!” 

“Sorry but it’s true!” Colin lied. 

    By the time that the nurse came in again with the water we were both laughing and she looked at use strangely. “Aren’t you supposed to be in afternoon lessons by now?” She asked Colin as I took the drink from her.

“Probably, but I’d rather stay here. Besides, it’s double Chemistry and nothings worse than that!” Colin shrugged. I almost chocked on the water at this and he looked at me, trying not to laugh himself.

“Right, you,” The nurse said, pointing at me, “Go the headmaster! And you,” She ordered sternly, pointing towards Colin, “go to your class!”

Colin shrugged and jumped off the medical bed which we had been sitting on and we both walked out into the corridor.

“Thanks,” I called and he turned towards me.

“No problem.” He said lightly, “And, like I said, it was double Chemistry.”

We went our separate ways and as I knocked on Mr Nealson’s door  somehow, despite everything, Colin had made me smile.

___________________________

Hi, again I'm sorry that this isn't edited yet but it will be very soon and I hope that you enjoyed reading it anyway! ;-)