Chapter 35- The address

“Are your parents around, we’ll have to give them a call?” The nurse asked. She had been questioning me for the last couple of minutes and to be honest she was making me feel worse, not better.

“Um no, my Mum died a while ago.” I replied.

“And your father?” She urged.

The side of my head was pounding: each beat like a hammer was hitting it, which made it even harder to answer that question. The fact that I was trying to forget about this was maybe why I said the worst possible thing that I could have said at that moment: “Chris Johnson.”

As soon as those stupid words came out of my mouth I froze. I looked nervously at the nurse who was busy writing on her clipboard.

“Chris Johnson? Yes, I think he’s working here today so I’ll go and tell him that you’re here.” Then she casually walked out of the room and I stared at her in amazement; this had not gone how I had planned!

*

“Ok, he’s on a course today so I left a message on the home phone saying that his daughter was in a car accident. Since he hasn’t called back yet I think the best thing to do is for you just to stay here until he comes. Give me a call if you need anything.” She smiled, before placing the clipboard at the end of the hospital bed and exiting the room.

I breathed a sigh of relief. But any minute now Chris could arrive home and see the message and that meant that I had only a couple of minutes to get out of here- before he calls the hospital asking what the heck is going on!

I climbed off the bed and grabbed the clipboard. It wasn’t my file. My heart sank as I realised that this couldn’t have been the right Chris Johnson. I scanned down the piece of paper and found where the address was. This wasn’t the right person, I was sure of it and yet before I gave up on this I had to know for sure. I copied down the address into phone and I walked out of the room, down the corridors to the exit of the hospital.

When I was in the outdoors again I quickly jogged to where I remembered the bus stop was and then all I had to do was wait for the bus to come.

To take me to Chris Johnson’s house. To my father’s house. To a person who probably didn’t even remember me or Liam or…  I bit my lip. I had just remembered the message which I was going to send to Liam. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and went on the message app.

1 new voicemail from: Liam.

I hesitantly clicked on the voicemail and the message started to play…

“Look Kat, I know that you don’t want to come home and that you hate living with Jason and the rest of them but remember when Mum was still alive and she was having arguments with Dad? Well remember how we always stayed together and talked about random stuff to distract us? Remember when Dad left and we were left alone in the house for one whole week because Mum had gone after him? All through these times we stuck together because that is what we promised each other and if you think that I want to be a part of this gang and all this crap, then you’re wrong and I know that you’re going through stuff but I need you as much as you need me. You’re my sister and I don’t get why when I didn’t have anyone else you would just leave without saying anything. I thought that you would tell me if you were going to go but I guess I was wrong. That’s it I guess. See you soon, maybe.”

The messaged stopped and I held the phone to my chest. In all my life I had never felt so guilty. All those times Liam had stuck by me and now I had just left, without a word. I thought about those words and what a bad sister I was. My eyes began to water but I took a deep breath and looked up as the bus pulled into the bay. Now was not the time to give up. I would find a way to see Liam again, to say sorry whether he hated me or not, but for now I just had to do this.

“Where are  you heading?” The bus driver asked as I climbed up and I told him the address. “Right, that’s just up along this road, take a seat.”

I sat down in one of the empty seats and leaned against the window. As the bus drove further and further along the road and I drew closer and closer to the truth I started to panic. What if he hated me? What if he didn’t believe me at all? What if he wasn’t my Dad?

But what if he was?

The bus slowed to a stop and I clambered down to the ground; too distracted to even say thank you to the driver.  

Number 10, number 11, number 12…this was it. I was standing beside a gate which opened to a small path leading down to a small, cottage like house. I hesitated. This was it. I opened the latch on the gate and walked towards the front door.  I knocked. For every second that passed my heart seemed to pound more and more. I felt physically sick. This was the moment which I had been waiting for my whole life; the moment when I would finally find out the truth to who my father was and yet I was so so scared!

My breath caught as the door of the house opened…

_________________________________________________________

Cliffhanger! Sorry, just had to end this chapter like that! 

Hi everyone,

Yeah, I really need to get into a routine with uploading... 

I really am sorry for the massive wait but since the last time I've uploaded we've gone back to school and the teachers seem to think that we need tests after only a couple of weeks back. Not to menton the art course work overload!

Anyways I promise that I will upload the next chapter quicker than I uploaded this one and allthough I hadn't updated I still went on wattpad literally every day- I know, it's an adiction- and I seriously couldn't and still can't belive the numbers which this story is hitting! 17,000 views and over 500 votes! I know that I keep saying this but it really does mean a lot when you guys read or vote for any of my stories!  

Dedecaton: Janellet13 -as I was replying to comments I saw this one and so this is just a little thank you for being so lovely xx

So, sorry that this isn't edited yeat, and that this isn't the best chapter that I've written but thank you all so much for reading and I will speak to you next time!

~ Mair xxoo

Please vote and coment if you liked it :-)