Ch. 1 - Street Singing

I was sitting on the curb outside of a shoe store with my guitar, singing a few songs for the passing people.

But it was the chorus of Use Somebody that made a stranger turn back around.

I kept singing, but I fixed my eye on him from the side. He had a Kobain tshirt on with a flannel over it, and skinny jeans. His hair was mostly blonde, and he appeared to be mumbling to himself.

When he stopped in front of me, he pulled out his wallet, and promptly dropped a $20 bill into my guitar case.

I nodded to ecknowledge and thank him as I went into the bridge.

He backed up a few feet, but remained within close range to hear me sing the whole song.

When I finished my song, the same guy began a slow clap, as he began to walk back towards me again.

"I'd tell you that you have the voice of an angel, but you deserve something more thought out than a cliché you've heard a million times before."

"Thank you. And no, I haven't heard it much. Only from my boyfriend and my mother," I blushed.

"Well then, you must not sing in front of people often, because if you did, you'd hear compliments every time."

"Thank you. Again. And no, I don't sing for people. Well, usually. It's not really my thing. I'm more of the sing-into-a-hair-brush-in-my-room-at-midnight type of person."

"I think you could be your thing, if you tried more often," he reached into his pocket, fumbled for a few seconds, and then handed me his phone. "Is there any way you would let me reach you another time? I have to hear you sing again, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I just walked away knowing I'd never hear that voice again."

This was a bit odd. But perhaps he is just a strait forward, 'get to the point', type of guy. But I didn't even know his name yet. Isn't it supposed to go name, then number?

I added my contact info into his phone, and handed it back to him.

"Thank you, ma'am. I will get a hold of you when I have decided I need to hear your voice again. Thank you," he trailed off as he turned to walk away.

"Wait...wait! Sir, come back!" I yelled after him.

"Miss me already?" he said with a smirk on his face.

"Um, no. I just, well, what's your name?"

"Tell me yours first."

"Kelsey. Kelsey Saunders. Now tell me yours. Please?"

"Luke. Luke Hemmings." the guy turned back around, and headed in the direction he was originally going.