Lucid dreaming

"So am I ready to go?" I ask with my fingers crossed secretly behind my back. Mason smirks and shakes his head, "Nice try," He says as he reaches for the piece of paper on the other side of the table, "Feeling no pain is only the first step, and, quite easy for at least you. Next you need to be able to realize when you’re sleeping." I start talking in the middle of the sentence, "You mean lucid dreaming?" He nods as he begins to draw on the plain piece of paper. We all wait for a moment until he has finished drawing. He turns the piece of paper towards me. He has drawn a vertical line down the middle of the page. "You see where you are here?" He says pointing to the bottom of the paper at the end of the line. "You have to get all the way up here," he slides his finger up to the other side of the paper, "then we'll talk about leaving." He pulls his chair out and leaves the room. I'm not sure if his trying to act cool or he is genuinely annoyed with me. "Don't worry it's not the first time," Says Hunter from next to me, "He always does that, it's kind of like his own tradition or something." He smiles and also leaves the table. "If I were you," Says Amberly as she leans back in her chair, "I would keep practicing, prove to Mason that you are ready." She grabs an apple from the middle of the table in the fruit bowl and walks over the staircase. She jumps from the bottom to the top in just a few seconds.

I get up and walk through the isles of books until I get to Hunter. "Do you really want to leave?" He asks without making eye contact with me, "Of coarse I do, I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to." He grabs a book from one of the shelves and glances at me before continuing to walk through the isles. "Don't you have friends or a boyfriend?" I let out a laugh as I slowly walk behind him, "You really think I would have a boyfriend or even a friend? I hardly got my homework done let alone have time for friends" I see him nod but he continues to walk. I then feel a pang in my stomach, why would he ask me that? Oh Crap. "But I mean know that I don't have to worry about my mum or anything it will be a bit different." He turns around and gives me a sarcastic look. "As soon as you walked into this place things became different, it hasn't even been a full day and you can already slam your hand into a wall and feel no pain." he leans up against one of the shelves and slides down onto the floor. You do understand none of this is real." He says as I sit next to him. I don't really give and answer, I just mumble back indicating I'm still not sure about that. He puts the book next to him and looks at me. "Seriously, do you know how many worlds I have lived in? Once you begin you can't stop, you keep looking for the end, you keep looking for the truth. Problem is you'll never find it." He gives a deep sigh and looks to the roof. I still don't think it's true, something has to be real, because there are millions of people in the world that are happy with where they are and what they are doing, and they all feel like they are living the truth. "It's a nice thought, but it's not real. I was happy once, but lets be honest love never lasts." Once again I totally forgot he can read my thoughts, and I go bright red again. "When were you happy?" I ask nervously, I can feel my heart race in my chest. "I was happy when I was in love, but people are selfish and never happy with what they have, which is why love never lasts." Is he saying that he was in love with a dream? My head starts spinning, it’s all too much.

Amberly comes searching through the isles and sees the two of us. She puts her weight onto one side and folds her arms. "Come you lovebirds, Brooke you need to keep practicing." Hunter gets up and playfully shoves Amberly to the side. "Shut up Amberly we are anything but lovebirds, don’t be an idiot." She grins and lets the two of us in front of her. I feel like I’m in middle school again, when everybody used to laugh at me for hanging out with the boys. "Come with me and we can practice," Says Amberly as she heads for the staircase, "Trust me you will learn more with me than you ever will with Hunter." Hunter gives a fake laugh from the other side of the room; "Very funny Amberly HALARIOUS" I follow her up the stairs and out to the same place we went to yesterday.

We climb the stairs once again and silently look over the side of the high flight of stairs. "You should try jumping,” She says as she continues to look down "What if it doesn't work? Won't I most certainly die?" Amberly takes a moment before she answers. "Well yeah I guess, but would it really matter? It's all just a dream anyway." I take a deep breath and step closer to the edge. The stairs look old and the black paint covering the metal all over the stairs has chipped almost everywhere. I tightly grip onto the metal bars as I climb to the top. "Just climb onto the top." Screams Amberly from below. It takes me a while to get to the top. There are a lot of obstacles, as it isn't meant for people to climb up. I have climbed at least half the amount of the staircase again up the unstable ladder before I get to the platform. "Is this specifically designed for suicide? Seriously this should be destroyed." I looked down and see Amberly's figure; her blonde hair is blowing in the wind. "Oh for goodness sake just jump!" I stand nervously on the edge of the metal platform. It's thin and I'm not sure it will last long. I'm about to jump when I hear the heavy door for the 'house' slam closed, I look down and can only just recognize that Mason is standing just in front of the door. "What the heck are you doing Amberly! Where is Brooke?" I see Amberly point up to me, "What's the worst thing that can happen? She dies out of this world and she moves on just like she wants to." I see Mason shake his head, "You're such a freaking idiot Amberly." I see Mason begin to run up the stairs.

If I don't jump now, I don't think I will for a long time. I bend my legs and look at my hands, they are shaking out of control "It will all be ok, just jump and get it over with. I feel like I'm committing suicide or something, but I know I'm not. I pull my hands behind my back, and jump. I feel my stomach clench, but I feel like I am just floating, its like there is zero gravity and I can move freely through the air. I hear Mason scream as I pass him. And before I know it I hit the ground.