The break

"I'm sorry Brooke, I swear I didn't know he was like this." My mother sobs quietly to me while we hide in the bedroom. "Of coarse you didn't, because the last three guys weren't like this at all were they?" I say to her sarcastically. I'm so filled with anger I can't even find the words. "He told me he was against even yelling at kids, I never thought he would be like this." I roll my eyes and begin to pace the room, there is glass smashed all over the floor in the living room, and I'm pretty sure that most other things are broken as well. The window was broken and we couldn't open it, all that was holding us from this drunken asshole was my study chair. Theirs a banging on the door and Mark is screaming, "Let me in!"

His words slur from the whiskey, mum had promised me she had gotten rid of it. I told her to get rid of him, and that he wasn't worth it. She had so many bruises all over he body; I don't know why she stayed with him. The wooden door smashes open and Mark tumbles in. I feel a pang in my stomach; I tense my muscles just like every other time. Mark storms over to me and grabs me but my T-shirt. "You little bastard why would you lock the bloody door on me?" I stare at the ground waiting for him to become enraged. Mum puts her hand out just in front of him; her face is covered in tears. "Please don't do this Mark, I'm begging you it's not worth it!" Mark lets go of my shirt and uses his arm to hit mum across the room. She brings her hand to face as she curls up in the corner of the room, he looks back to me breathing heavily, and as he lifts his hand and once again hit me. I drop to the floor in a ball.

All I remember is the aftermath, I eventually get the energy too pull myself of the floor. I look at my mum crying heavily. It's not worth it, I help her up and the she gets someone to push herself and I back down again. I leave the room to find the whole living room ruined, it looks like a bomb went off. Once again mark has taken the keys, but at least his gone. I sit on whats left of the sofa.

I'm so sick of this, sixteen year olds shouldn't be worrying about how much pain they're in for the next day, they should be thinking about what to wear, and boys. I can't live like this anymore, I swear one day Mark will kill us, and if it's not him it will be someone else. I go back into my room and pack a small bag. I have to leave. "What are you doing?" says mum as she lifts her head from her knees. "I'm leaving, I can't put up with this anymore. You're older than me; you should be able to look after yourself. "Please don't go Brooke, I promise things will get better." I laugh to myself, "Do you know how many bloody times I've heard that?" I pull my bag onto my shoulder and walk to the door. "Bye mum." She follows me to the door and drops to her knees. I walk down the stairs and out of the building. A hit of fresh air hit my face; the busy street looks amazing at night. The weirdest feeling overcomes me, I know in that moment that I should feel awful for leaving her, but I have been trying to live with her alone since I was ten. After dad died mum went into a mental breakdown and basically stopped being a mother. Most of the time I would have to organize something for dinner so we didn't starve to death. The only time mum was ever in a good mood was when she had just been on a date or had spent the night in the city. At least it made me independent.

I walk down the street taking in my surroundings, I have no idea where I'm going but its feels so good to be free and not locked up and abused. I walk until I reach a wizardry shop. Ever since I was young I loved magic and how it made things possible that were impossible. I walked into the crowded shop, their are ribbons and curtains hanging from everywhere and in the far corner a small fire is going. At the counter is a middle-aged woman with long dark hair, she doesn't look up at me, but I have a feeling that she knows I'm here. I spend some time walking around but nothing stands out. I can't waste my money anyway, I only have a couple hundred dollars and I don't know how long I'm going to be homeless. I approach the door when my phone rings. I totally forgot I still had it on me, I should have remembered to at least turn my location tracker off. My mums number comes up and I answer after she knows I'm gone for good, hopefully she'll leave me alone. "What is it mum, you know I said I was leaving." I begin pacing through the store as mum sobs over the phone. "Please come home Brooke, I need you here. I'm your mother, where are you going to go?" I roll my eyes and give a sigh, I see the owner look up at me slightly. "Mum this has been going on for too long, these men are no good, and all they do is beat us up. They don't do anything for us, and I know if I come back you'll just hook up with another abusive guy that tricks you." All I can hear is crying and eventually I say goodbye and hang up.

I can't go back, even if I wanted to. It's a matter of life or death. Once again I head for the door when I hear someone call out to me. "You know I can help you make it all stop." I freeze and turn around. The dark haired woman is now staring at me. "You don't have to live like this anymore. If you trust me I can show you a place to go." I don't why, but I feel like she's trust worthy, I should just walk out and say no, but I feel compelled to learn more. "What place?" I walk over to the counter as the woman searches through all her draws. She holds out a small piece of paper. I stare up at her with an unsure look. "This one piece of paper is suppose to safe me from all my troubles?" I begin to doubt her, its almost impossible, and for all I know it might be a drug store address. "Just go to the address and if you don't like what you see, come back." I take the paper and give her a deep look. She raises her eyebrows and looks at the door. I walk to the door when she calls out, "Oh and by the way, its not a drug store." I keep my back to her but grin.

The address isn't that far away, and so it only takes me half an hour to get there by foot. Around me are buildings and factories, and eventually I find the address. It's a plain building on the outside, and there is only a small door. I try the knob and its unlocked. I take a deep breath and slowly open the door, there's nothing inside and so I walk into the middle of the room. I feel like someone's hiding from me, watching from above, there are lots of wooden planks supporting the roof above me, so there is a chance someone is up there. "Um hello?" I yell out into the nothingness. "I was told to come here by some woman... she told me it would make my troubles go away?" I wait for a moment in silence and there is no response, I feel disappointed that it led to nothing, and now I really do have to worry about a place to sleep.

I walk out of the factory and begin to close the door when I hear movement above me. "Wait!" Says someone from above, and before I know it there is a figure standing in front of me. I don't scream, but I am petrified. "Don't worry I'm not hear to hurt you, I know the woman you're talking about." I see the dark shadow turn the light switch on and before I know there is a tall young man standing in front of me. If I may say, he is probably the best looking guy I've seen in ages, all I've seen all summer holidays is Marks ugly face. "I'm Hunter, its nice to meet you, don't worry I won't hurt you." He leans forward and gives me his hand. I feel relief all over my body that I can finally relax. I go to take his hand when I hear another voice. "Oh enough with all this crap Hunter just bring her inside." I look above me only to see a girl jump from the top of the roof down onto the ground. I look at her amazed. She has long blonde hair and bright blue eyes. I want to ask her how she did the jump before she interrupts me. "Don't even ask, you'll find out sooner or later, what matters right now is that you tell us why you want help." I try and find the words to speak, but I can't, all of this is so overwhelming. "Um ok look just calm down," says the girl, "my names Amberly by the way, here, we'll find you a seat."The two of them grab my arms and begin to walk me to the back of the room. "Wait." I stop moving and they both turn to me. "What is this?" Hunter and Amberly look at each other like its something they get asked all the time. "Lets just say that you, and everyone else has been doing a lot of dreaming." Says hunter in a calm voice as he pulls me along. Now I'm even more confused. Since when have I been dreaming?